If I refuse my job back during the covid-19 pandemic, will I lose my unemployment benefits ? ?

Hi. I was laid off due to the coronavirus . Now my boss called me and told me he could pay me 40 hrs a week & not actually work . But I already applied for unemployment benefits & I am receiving the additional $600 per week. If I refuse my boss’ offer, will I lose my unemployment benefits ? I’m located in NYC. Can I technically refuse the job because of the coronavirus pandemic that is still going on ? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If you refuse the job, you lose your benefits

• 9 months ago

You will need to show EDD that you have "Good Cause" for not accepting work. For example if you have contracted the virus or you are taking care of a loved one who is ill then you "might" be able to qualify.  

• 9 months ago

If you refuse to work, you are unemployed BY CHOICE, and don't qualify for unemployment. If you are  offered FULL PAY for NOT working, you can't even claim returning to work puts you at risk.

You are a MOOCH and merely asking this question SHOULD get you disqualified AND fired.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

While getting unemployment benefits, you need to actively be looking for a job.  You were given a job opportunity which means you probably will lose your benefits if you refuse to go to work.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

One hopes. Anyone not accepting free money to stay on the payroll just because they're getting a little more from UI doesn't deserve UI. Grow up.

• 9 months ago

Yes, of course you will. Unemployment is not for those who are voluntarily unemployed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.