Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 2 months ago

Job has cut my hours to 0 (coronavirus)?

I am a senior at high school,  and I have been working at a local restaurant since December (prior to this I have only had on and off jobs, so I didnt ever have to file taxes since the money I made was far too little.)

I'm not too sure what I can do in this situation, I haven't been fired but.. 0 hours.. I requested more hours and my manager claimed they were "overstaffed"

Is there anything I can do about this or am I out of luck. If so I'll gladly look for another job, thank you! 

Favorite Answer

You were working in a job that put you in close proximity to other people. It is from other people you catch disease. So right now and for this year, think about a different job. One which you are not near other people.  The farmers still got to grow crops, people still want landscaping done...those type of jobs has you well away from other people...working alone.  This is the kind of job you got to find. Basically all that is available to you.  Construction happens but generally they expect you to have your own tools and know how to do a specific trade.  Maybe landscaping?  Working by yourself.

Is there a computer job?  One where you just sit at a keyboard all day.  Jobs are scarce. People are not visiting restaurants, so this could last till NEXT SUMMER.  It is not gone quickly. A vaccine may take till Dec to develop, then there is several months of testing on lab rats to see if they die BEFORE THEY MAKE A VERSION THAT IS SAFE FOR HUMANS.  You only get to die once.  WHO is not trying to kill anybody by pushing out an unsafe drug.

That is how they always have worked. Even for flu vaccines.  THIS AIN'T NO FLU.  THIS IS SOMETHING ELSE.

I think you can apply for unemployment if the hours got cut to zero.

I am in the same boat as you are, only I will be 41 years old next month,

Go make a claim online at your states unemployment line, I live in oreogn and they have a big backlog, I'm still waiting after 10 days for it to be processed.

Good luck.

There's nothing you can do except look for other work. This is out of your control. It's out of everyone's control. 

You cannot make them give you hours. You might be able to apply for unemployment.

Many places are overstaffed and do not need more employees. A few places are hiring, grocery stores, pizza delivery and amazon. You probably only stand a chance at a grocery store.

No need to quit as you may or may not get more hours when and if their business improves.

• Maxi

You are employed on a zero hour contract, which means legally the employer can give you zero hours or call you in as and when they need you to work, so you never know if you are earning money week to week....... I suggest you go and look for another job that offers you a set amount of hours, even if it is 6 hour contract a week as if they don't need you they will still have to legally pay you the contracted 6 hours .and you do not need to 'give notice' as zero hour contract workers can say yes or not to any hours offered

• audrey

Go ahead and look for another job. Since lots of people are making so much on unemployment, there will be lots of jobs as things slowly start to open up and people will stay on unemployment rather than work.

• Jamey

It sounds like you were on a zero hours contract (UK), in which case you have no rights. Go job hunting.

If you aren't contracted for any hours then you are out of luck. I'd start to look elsewhere.