Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

How can i get my horse to respect me?

My geldings does not respect me. Any tips?

Update:

Don't be a jerk. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You need to lunge, lunge lunge your horse. Be very bossy and firm. Make sure he stands at your sude, not behind nor in front of you. Have a lot of good rides. Don't give him treats. Many horses become pushy that way. Yield his forequarters and hindquarters. Lead him a lot, make sure he is being respectful. Never ever let him get his way. Don't allow aggressive behavior. Put a stop to any "I don't want to be caught so I am going to win this and run away" behavior. Be calm, confident and consistent all day, everyday. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Well, your question is vague. Do you treat him with respect? That's usually a good start.

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Unfortunately, that's not the way "respect" works with horses. If you let your horse know you respect his right to push you around, he will push you around. It's gotta be the other way. He should know that YOU push HIM around!

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Learn to train. Key items include the two-second rule, which is that any reward or punishment that is done more than two seconds after the right or wrong act is not only wasted but probably making your training upside down. You'll need to keep tho horse's attention on what you want him to do. We teach WALK and WHOA as crucial initial steps, leading the horse from the ground, not working from saddle. We use BACK (back up) as a command that takes the horse's mind off the stuff immediately in front of him (like grass or other horses) and gets him to thinking he must do what we want.

WALK and WHOA should happen instantly. Those commands, given by voice or by your own motion. should have an immediate effect and should work without having to be repeated.

There are dozens or perhaps thousands of good books and videos on how to train. Some of the videos, like Clinton Anderson's, get into "here's what you are doing wrong" and contrast the right way with the wrong way.

Right now your horse is training you. You must change the whole situation. Xenophon knew it 2400 years ago, so you should be able to figure it out, too. 

• 2 months ago

Horses in the wild rely on their senses-hearing, sight, touch, smell, and taste for living. Sound and sight warn of danger, and taste and smell identify safe or lousy horse diet. Domestication of horses has dulled their response to some of these, like they may not run away always they see a car, but their senses are just as acute as ever. When a horse reacts to some stimuli that we haven’t noticed, it is often put down to its “sixth sense.” It is the horse’s extremely sharp senses working together to process bits of information that we have missed. Horse behavior is very closely related to this topic.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Amber
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Get a clue when it comes to horses. Your horse isn't disrespecting you, that humans BS. You are not being a good leader so your horse is. There are no equals in the horse world. Your horse isn't disrespecting you, he's trying to lead you.  

• patty
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

be kind to the horse. Give it treats. Give the horse a brush before or after you go for a ride. Respect is earned , u may be cruel to the horse.

Lv 7
    2 months ago

It would be helpful to know what specific behaviors your horse is displaying that make you think this, and in what ways you have already tried unsuccessfully to address those behaviors. Then perhaps someone can help you with approaches to mitigate the behavior. Without specifics, about all I can offer is that your horse needs to see you as someone who warrants being respected. I've no idea if you're overly permissive and soft with your horse (allowing them to shove you around and invade your space), overly harsh with them, inconsistent, uncertain, unskilled, poorly communicate what you want from them, etc. Any of those things can lead to a horse having little or no respect for their handler. A good local trainer who can observe you and your horse in person and offer corrections to your behaviors is your best resource here. 

• 2 months ago

Chop their ... Hmm sorry you're stuck

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

Whats that sposed to mean? Don't  be a jerk; please! 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Smack her with a gander.

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

its a GELDING, like I said.
       A gander is either a male goose, or the famous Thoroughbred, Gander by Cormorant out of Lovely Nurse by Sawbones. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.