Help on cars fuel MPG efficiency ?

I have a 2004 VW Golf MK5.

It's always been regularly serviced and has no problems, but I feel I don't get enough MPG for what it's worth. 

It's supposed to have 30 MPG, but for every 50 miles I do, it'll cost me £10 in fuel. This is bad right? 

If you're wondering, I don't go at high speeds which leads to a less fuel efficient car, I drive the speed limit. 

I drive normal city roads*

• Neil

Assuming £1.20/litre, every 50 miles is using 8.333 litres, or 1.8 UK gallons, which works out at approx 28mpg, which isn't a lot worse than the 30mpg you were expecting. Given mostly city use, a 16-year-old car, and a 30mpg claim that would have been calculated on the old NEDC test, that's not bad.

• JOHN B

If that is accurate, you have a hole in your gas tank.

I know this from driving multiple vehicle types. Best speed is 53MPH and constantly. No fast acceleration and no braking. So flat road forever. You don't have that. If you drive in a city, there is traffic, stop lights & signs, corners, girls you got to drive past slowly to take a good look at,and all these slow downs reduce your MPG.

Now, I am going to treat you like a kid with an education, so you can do the math. It is simple.

Go to your gas station and fill your car up to the click off of the pump handle .  That is a full tank. Move off the pump and park the car for a minute out of the way of other people...say near the air for the tires.  Make sure all the tires have the proper amount of air pressure FOR YOUR CAR..  This reduces the rolling resistance. Shut the engine off...because you are wasting gas idling.  Now the tires are proper you need a piece of paper or a booklet.  Mark down the mileage of your car (this is mile 0). Put paper or book in the glovebox and drive somewhere.  I actually had to drive to another town highway driving on a flat road all the way with no stop lights for 100 miles.   I drove to that town and turned around and drove back.  I went to the same gas station and used the same pump and filled up to the first click...and moved car off the pumps and parked it by the air again. Paid for gas. Got a receipt.  Now, took out "the book"  Checked my odometer reading and wrote it down.  It is higher than the first number so subtracted the first number from the higher number to show how many miles or Kilo I traveled.  Your receipt should show you how much gas you bought (gallons or Litres)

It is so nice to have one of those cheap solar powered pocket calculators about the size of a credit card to do the math for you.  otherwise you got to take the difference in the distance covered divided by the amount of fuel.  I am assuming you get it in gallons as the car rating is in gallons and distance is in miles.

(in my test it was 200 miles as the other town was 100 miles away and fuel used was 4 gallons from fill to fill.   200miles/4g=50mpg

Your distance number will be different and your amount of fuel needed will be different

Yeah I figured using the point number as well as it is half a mile or half a gallon and those halves matter. and besides with a calculator it is easy to do.

It was also a windless day.  Wind adds resistance to the car body moving against the wind(needing more gas)....and a tailwind would lessen the resistance to moving.(needing less gas)

Oh, and you need to drive with windows closed and no roof racks and not towing a trailer and not loaded full of stuff. Just a slick empty car. No A/C either as that needs engine power to make it work. And your battery is fully charged.And car body is clean...and no brakes are dragging.

This is the real world driving of your vehicle.

Understand that "NOW" ALL CARS HAVE 1 WHEEL ON A DYNAMO and they measure fuel economy of the engine while in the shop.  So no rolling resistance of all 4 tires or wind resistance against the car (like in the old days they did it on a race track so there WAS rolling resistance and wind resistance.  

So, what the manufacturers say is the MPG and what on the road driving is, is 2 entirely different numbers.

Now you know.  Except the other secret manufacturer's used and that is they use the Gallon which is the Imperial gallon still used in S.A. which is 160oz or 4.54Liters.   That is totally legal.  Not going to use the U.S. gallon which is 128oz or 3.7Liters as that would be less MPG. Vehicle manufacturers wanted their car to sound fuel efficient so they went with the biggest gallon.  That is just being "SNEAKY"

If it is a Turbo you are not going to do good.

I don't know the cost of fuel in your area because I have it in $ and that cost changes week to week per Liter.

yes over cost is bad! you should take suggestion from an engineer.

• F

You don’t say what model Golf it is.

For aVR6 or gti it’s not bad , for a TDi or a 1.2 ,it’s rubbish even at that age.

Car is from 2004.  It is not like it just came out of the factory.  Compute the mileage using the odometer and see what mileage you get.

• Barry

Should have bought the diesel version. They do 50+ mpg and last forever.

• Ron

You don't know how to figure mileage. 

https://learn.eartheasy.com/guides/how-to-calculat...

If you have no problems then it is likely the driver who is the problem.

25mpg is very poor ....what do you mean by normal city roads ?  ..the mk5 was just about the worst golf they made ..heavy and slow ..get it tuned