Car performance parts?

I am looking at getting my camaro more reliable, by getting performance parts. Not necessarily parts to increase horsepower, but parts like performance gaskets, pumps, wires, cooling systems, etc. So where should I start? I have a LT1 that's pretty much stock with just a C.A.I. Thank you

Favorite Answer

I like to start from the top. Valve covers, intake manifold(s), front crank seal, rear main seal, oil pan seal or gasket. It does help to clean the throttle body while it's off the car since there's so many tiny holes and nooks and crannies that you can access when the throttle body is in your lap. Oily residues from gas recirculation can gum up areas you cannot see or clean by just blasting stuff down the throat. Thick black or brown gunk.

• M.

Performance gaskets???

When you go to the Chevrolet website, there is a section called "performance parts". That would be a good place to look. They used to offer a catalog. I'm not sure if they still do.

• Scott

What makes you think aftermarket parts will make your car more reliable?

None of those things make a motor more reliable.

Gaskets are gaskets and if they are not leaking leave them alone!

You should never have gotten rid of the stock intake system. It was a CAI from the factory.

The cleanable air filters take out MAF sensors. The oil on the cleanable filters migrates to the MAF sensor wires and ruins them. No performance increase..Just shiny chrome and a pain in the *** filter that takes 4 hours to clean and dry properly.

If you think the factory didn't put stock plug wires that were capable of getting power to the spark plugs on your motor your nuts.

If your motor is over heating it's likely not from too small a radiator.

Save your money and buy a cat-back exhaust system. At least it will sound better and give you more horse power.

If yo want to protect your investment change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or every 5,000 miles if running synthetic oil.

Remember to check the oil level on the dipstick every 1,000 miles between oil changes and top up the oil so it never drops below halfway between the upper and lower dipstick marks. The biggest reason motors fail is because people are too lazy, dumb, or stubborn about their oil.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Your car is not broken.  Do not fix it.  Repair with "performance parts"  only when the original part is broken.