Can’t uninstall QuickTime (Apple Inc.) from personal computer?

I have a Windows PC with Windows 7 at home.

Somehow, QuckTime was installed on this PC.

I tried unsuccessfully to uninstall it.

(I have uninstalled many programs from my PC.)

When attempting to uninstall, I get these notifications:

(Programs and Features)

‘You do not have sufficient access to uninstall QuckTime. Please contact your system administrator.’

(Windows Installer)

‘The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.’

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

QuickTime is a Macintosh ("Mac" / Apple) thing but there are some things Windows also uses it for like to play certain video and audio formats. If you uninstall it the things that use it to run won't work. It's best to keep it. 

The reason it's saying what it says about access to it is because whatever account you're logged in to isn't the primary administrator account. It could also be a known Windows file and folder permissions issue that's existed since Vista but that's probably not it since it says what it says about the admin setting policies preventing changes to it. 

Your account doesn't have permission to make those changes (remove QuickTime). The only way around that is to reinstall Windows using the format and delete everything option. You'll need a Win7 disk to do that. 

If you choose to upgrade to a newer version of windows this problem will still exist unless you choose doing the format and install a fresh copy option. 

• Fried Kitten
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Thank you - I appreciate all of your info. I guess I'll just leave it installed. It is simply bothersome to have something installed on my PC that I don't want. I feel I should be able to uninstall unwanted items.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lv 7
    2 months ago

otherwise, take it to a repair shop. this is not for the faint of heart...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.