What should I know before I start taking Piano lessons?

I am 20 and have taken some lessons before but I want to hit the ground running. I want to fully know major and minor scales plus fingering, Arpeggios, and try to improve my sight reading. Is there anything else that I am missing ??  

Just learn songs from youtube.  Piano lessons take way too long.  You sit there playing Mary Had a Little Lamb for 2 years.

I learn from youtube and can now play Fur Elise in full and about half way through Moonlight 3rd Movement.  a couple of other intermediate pieces too.

I learnt nothing from piano lessons other than c major scale.

All you need is the name and phone number of the BEST qualified/degreed/experienced piano instructor you can get to. First lesson, you 2 talk it out, and the teacher determines from you playing a little bit (nothing demanding) where you are, and what you need.  First few lessons - adjustments as made, as they gauge your progress.  You might be able to start with an electric piano, with a damper pedal.  Again - talk to your teacher.  Good luck - but the PERSON you find is the key.

Source(s): DH and I have taught private lessons since 1973. He teaches piano, and retrains injured classical artists; I teach flute

you will need a piano

If you're going to take lessons, your teacher will know what to start you on and and also answer any questions you have.

I think it would be better to learn scales with a teacher to make sure you are playing them correctly.  If you insist on learning them before getting a teacher, start slowly and evenly and gradually get faster.  You don't want them to sound choppy.

• Tony B

It doesn't sound as if you need lessons!

I think the thing you're missing is the point of taking lessons. Just start the lessons and your teacher will take it from there.