Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 2 months ago

Why do most people in the world work BS jobs?

I would consider a "BS job" one that makes no contribution to society, requires little responsibility, and is essentially a daycare for adults type of position. This COVID-19 has exposed a lot of BS jobs. If the job ceased to exist tomorrow, it would have no effect on the company or the world. That is what I consider a BS job. A doctor is not a BS job. A call center clerk is a BS job. Most "non-BS jobs" require at least a Masters Degree or Law or Medical degree, or are highly technical/computer heavy in nature. Most BS jobs require a high school diploma are a useless degree such as gender studies. Why do BS jobs still exist when they can be automated? I think a lot of jobs will become automated after this COVID-19 when companies realize that half their staff are useless and there absence when furloughed made no difference in the company. They will be laid off and replaced by automation.

You know the jobs I'm talking about, the ones where you walk through an office and the guys are at the coffee pot for 30 minutes doing nothing, or guys who are on Facebook and YouTube during work or texting on their phones

• Lili

You have no idea what those people are doing most of the time. Don't pretend that you do.

• TanyaMimi4 weeks agoReport

Actually, the author has a very good point! BS jobs make people miserable because there is no meaning to their existence! And im sorry - "to pay the bills" - is not the answer to this question. Were you really born to this world to pay the bills? :D

Most people l know including me have very good jobs.

I always considered Insurance salesman to be a B.S. job. You could do with all of them and get any kind of insurance you want online without ever talking to a soul.

Because most jobs are what you (incorrectly) call BS jobs. There are very few jobs that require any degree. Most important jobs that make a contribution to society don't require a degree. If they ceased to exist, the world would be very different. For example, if all the farm jobs that don't require a degree ceased to exist, then there would be no more food grown, and all the humans would die. I'm not getting into whether that would make the world better or worse, but if would definitely have an effect on the company, and the world, and all the other companies in the world.

Because it pays the bills.  You have to do what your skillset and opportunities allow.  Here's a secret, no one really love their job, even when you make alot of money no one likes going to work every day, thats just life.   Its not easy running a business and taking all the risk either, life isnt susposed to be easy.

There are BS employees...

In service based positions, you may be able to let 80% of the employees go and not see a decrease in efficiency.

- that is different than the role being BS. 

It hasn't exposed this, I already knew this. A lot of bosses don't do anything so they invent work such as changing procedures needlessly because they have to look like they do something.

The american dream wal mart and hospitals