Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 months ago

What is your opinion on modern day faith healers? Are they frauds, charlatans, and wishful thinkers who cause God's name to be blasphemed?

I'm talking about people like Benny Hinn, Leroy Jenkins, Peter Popoff, Kenneth & Gloria Copeland, etc. There's probably others, but I can't remember enough names to name them all.

• Paul
    Favorite Answer

For the most part, I would say your description is accurate.

THE ONES YOU MENTION ARE... IMO..... CONS...... BUT IT IS FACT THAT GOD CAN HEAL THROUGH THOSE HE CHOOSES TO USE.... i HAVE BEEN HEALED OF DIFFERENT ISSUES ....BUT ALSO SOME ISSUES HAVE NOT BEEN...... THAT IS WHY GOD GAVE MAN-KIND BRAINS TO DEVELOP THE KNOWLEDGE THAT DR'S USE TO HEAL........ .

• Cowboy

The ones who can pull it off boost an individual's immune system response through ritualized actions and a litany of shared beliefs - allowing the individual to heal themselves...it's well known to modern science as the placebo effect. Ancient populations called such people shamans.

The ones who can't make it work but simply put on a show are just shams..

I remember about 3 years ago I had a torn acl. I moved incorrectly and it tore. I couldn't walk anymore, I'd fall. So naturally I got crutches and such. And I was in college at the time. I was going to the lunch room so that I could eat. A random dude was standing there. He asked if he could pray for me. So I said, "yes, of course." He prayed over my acl. And then asked me about my back. I squatted heavy weight all the time. 400 to 500 lbs was the usually squat workout routine 5 x 5. My back was hurting badly. I didn't tell him that my back was in pain. I told him that I was okay because I was happy that my acl was going to be fixed. I was satisfied with that. Within an hour I was walking normally. That night I was sprinted 10 times 100 yards. Back to my usual self. Faith healing works. I'm proof of it. Glory to God forever amen. 

• ?

Every single one of them, without exception, are frauds.  Here's one way you know.

When God spoke to Moses, he gave him miraculous signs to perform so that his listeners would know he spoke for him.  Those miraculous signs confirmed that his words were actually from God (Ex 4:1-9).

During the first century, as the NT was being written, God provided prophets during that time so that the Christians would know how to be Christian.  And just like Moses, he provided them miraculous signs to perform to confirm that their words were from God too (Mk 16:17-20).

One of those signs was that they could drink any deadly poison, and it wouldn't hurt them.  Guess what.  No one today is willing to perform that miraculous sign to show they speak for God.  They make up the excuse that they don't want to test God.  Did Moses refuse to throw his staff down for it to become a snake because he didn't want to test God?  The truth is that that miracle is hard to fake, especially if a stranger is the one handing them a bottle of Clorox bleach to drink. All that miraculous stuff ended long ago just as predicted by the apostle Paul (1Cor 13:8-10).

If you want to see how Peter Popoff tricked everyone back in the 1980s, watch the vid below.  Check out the elderly woman with the walking problem.  Popoff "heals" her of her affliction, but when she goes to walk, she almost falls down and he has to catch her, and then hangs on to her to keep her falling again.  Only a sociopath would treat a person like her like he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNl52deOZro

Youtube thumbnail

Have you ever seen one heal an amputee or someone with a birth defect...

just saying.

• Evelyn

Of course they're all charlatans.  Let god heal even one of the 45 million Alzheimer's patients in the world, then get back to me.

SOME OF THEM ARE VERY REAL AND WHEN THEY PRAY GOD IS THE ONE DOING THE HEALING.

Back in the 90s when I was still a Christian I volunteered for a Benny Hinn healing revival. In the back rooms I personally witnessed staff members ripping open the envelopes, laughing and mocking the prayer requests  They tossed the prayer requests in a huge garbage can and kept the larger donations. They threw the $1 bills from elderly people in the garbage and tore up their prayer requests. It was DISGUSTING!!!

I can't launch into a tirade about what I think of them because it would contain too much profanity and anger. I don't want to feel that BS today.

• Elise

They are all a scam.