I can’t tell if I’m ok?

It’s difficult to describe how I feel, it’s more of a bundle of emotions that just weigh me down. I can’t exactly pin point any one emotion, or event that causes this feeling, but I think it’s somewhere around the word “sad”. Sometimes it’s really bad and I feel like there’s a hole in my chest and I’m caving in, and other times it’s just a slight numbness, but I don’t think it goes away. Ive heard to “fake it” as in fake being happy, but even attempting a smile or a optimistic thought puts me on the verge of tears. I don’t know if this is fine, that people just are this way, that they live with this constant ache that just varies in degrees, or if there’s something wrong with me. It doesn’t seem intense enough to call it depression but it’s still not a good feeling.

Favorite Answer

You can take a depression screening test online, such as CESD R, or KADS 6-item if you're a teenager.

The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel.

Treatment usually begins by seeing the GP, who can give you a physical and a referral. I mention referral because just a bottle of pills is not a very good approach.

If you're depressed, I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This answer has details, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you.

Of all the traditional Asian methods (meditation, tai chi, etc.) the one with the best evidence for helping people with mood problems is controlled breathing. I have information about therapeutic breathing recommended by psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my answers. This is safe and requires no training.

Info about breathing therapy in this answer, with other stress reduction things.

You can't go wrong with stress management. We all need it.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

Advice for coping with the shutdown in my recent answers.

• amy

The fact you dont know what it is means your disconnected from your emotions so you need to learn them. I thought the same that it was depression because the professionals said so. Turns out it c-ptsd anxiety stuff.

Edit: generally with depression (Not clinical depression) your suppose to fake it to you make and not in the sense of faking happy just push yourself through your normal day as though its not there and then in a few days it clears up. Anxiety is lots of little steps. One small step repeat. Include another small step repeat.

• amy

Thanks. Ive actually started doing some guided mindfulness meditation. Ive had various psychologists in either ACT or DBT therapy trying to get me to do it but I use to avoid it because it made me bored which distressed me. But Ive started off small and increased a little and its worked well.

Your describing Depression, it's treatable with lifestyle choices or medication.

• live2 months agoReport

I hope this helps you

https://youtu.be/5VAr90TSXnE

You'll be okay. Just pray to Satan.