What happens if you leave your child home alone ?

And while you just go out shopping as a single parent? 

In some cases shops have reportedly tried to clamp down on this, not allowing children into the stores, which can be a major problem for single parents. 

Favorite Answer

Depends on how old your child is; every state has some sort of law regarding children being left home alone and some of those lower age-limits are over-ruled by the child's maturity level. For instance, there can be huge differences between two 10 year olds that would either make it reasonable for the child to be left alone for up to an hour or totally negligent to leave alone for even a few minutes. Does your child know when and how to call emergency services? Can you trust that they will not use cooking appliances, knives, etc while you are gone? Do you have accessible weapons in the house? Can they be trusted to stay inside and not answer the door or telephone (not let people know they are alone)? If they need help, is there a trusted adult nearby you can include in emergency plans? Do you live in a relatively safe area? Are they comfortable being alone and can manage themselves without anxiety or panic? I'm a single parent myself and my son absolutely hates the grocery store, he's 10 years old now and can be trusted to stay in the car (as long as it's not going to get hot) safely. I also try to go to smaller, neighborhood stores and have a list of exactly what I'm getting to shorten trips. If it's too hot, then I will have him sit inside the store. However, legally speaking, the grocery store cannot actually tell you that your child cannot come in the store... that'd be a form of discrimination. Other options are to see if there's grocery delivery or curbside pickup in your town or a nearby town... ask a friend or family member if they would be willing to pick up and drop off your groceries (of course pay for your stuff yourself).

it depends on the age duh

1? who has a 1 year old? pfft? no one cares2? can be left home alone3? it'll be ok most likely 50/50, yknow?4? ABSOLUTELY NOT5? fine6? leave em outside the whole time with a dog bone and he/she will be alright

7? they are practically an adult

8? what theyre still living at home? god

Don't you think it depends upon the age of the child? With so many predators around, it's probably not safe to leave any child under 14 alone for long. Single parents need help.

There's two sides to that, but if a store doesn't want your brat in there, just shop somewhere else!

• Matt

They make a rubbish film about it starring Macaulay Culkin and Joe Pesci