Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 11 months ago

Maybe mankind should first answer the question, when,what,why,how, planets orbit our sun??

Why circular direction? why specific spacing distance? why same direction "all clockwise except one" ? What determines speed of the rotation? How long are we talking for a solar system to form? and how accurate is that guess...…..Can anyone answer any of this? Before we drive to marrs maybe mankind should pass the space driving test

Update:

Hmmm, I just thought if NASA was using my tax dollars to research recycled human shIIt, for space exploration, some of this stuff would be common knowledge? Don't hurt yourself

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

As a physics student I will try my best to answer all these questions. 

1. Planets do not orbit in a circular direction, they orbit in an elliptical, or ovular, direction and they do this because perfect circular orbit is near impossible to accomplish. 

2. I don't know what you mean by specific spacing distance, but planets are just naturally spaced out depending on how they entered/formed in the solar system.

3. All planets spin counter clockwise, not clockwise. If you're referring to Venus, it spins counterclockwise upside down, which causes the effect of it spinning clockwise. Uranus is special too because it spins on its side like a bowling ball. This happened because of major collisions with meteorites causing it to rotate it's spin 90 degrees.

4. The speed of a planets rotation depends on how the planet was formed and if it was bombarded with space material. The speed of a planets rotation around the sun is determined by the planets mass and its distance from the sun.

5. Solar systems take hundreds of millions to billions of years to form. Our solar system formed in about 500 million years.

6.The guess of our solar systems age is very accurate. Scientists use rock samples from the earth, the age cycles of the sun, and other cool things in our solar system to measure its age.

• 11 months ago

Luminary objects like stars there is NO proof and I think you know this david weiss knows this stuff way too much confusion and reality is simple we are here out there is made from them who want to pass their agenda on us like the sun 93.000.000 miles really and the moon 400 times smaller in size exatly making the equlips perfect common. And NASA 50 MILLION A DAY look into the truth 

Source(s): Cool
  • 11 months ago

You thought ? Your idiotic and factless rant shows no sign that you possess such a capability.

Attachment image
  • 11 months ago

Astronomers and scientist already know all that stuff.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

They orbit in ellipses, not circles. The question of spacing is very interesting and worth investigating. However, it isn't relevant to going to Mars.

• 11 months ago

The whole Solar System coagulated from a cloud of dust

Sent spinning from an outside force

More than likely a nearby Supernova

Which also spread the Elements in among it

As the spinning made the Centre more dense

Eventually Nuclear fission could take place and the Sun Formed

The Dust, Ice and Gas continued to Orbit the Sun until it coalesced finally into the Planets, moons, Asteroids and Comets

Attachment image
    Source(s): Have you ever read a Book ??
  • 11 months ago

--Why circular direction?

It is not. It is elliptical (circular is just one special case of elliptical and is extremely rare in natural orbiting objects). The reason was explained by Isaac Newton around AD 1685. It is the way gravity works.

-- same direction?

Comes from the way the collapsing nebula was rotating as gravity caused it to collapse. This was explained in the 1730s by Emanuel Swedenborg, a Christian theologian. He applied Newton's theory of gravity to his idea of a collapsing cloud of gas and dust to explain why everything major had to move in the same direction (the direction of rotation of the cloud). The mathematical support came from Simon Laplace in the 1770s, explaining the stability of the Solar system.

Why that particular direction and orientation? We don't know, other than it was somewhat imposed by whatever tidal forces acting on it from the Galactic bulge and any "neighborging" masses. The work of Sir James Hopwood Jeans shows that all directions and orientations are possible within a collapsing cloud. Once a single-star system acquires its own direction, then it is shared by all major elements within the system.

In our Solar system, ALL major planets orbit in the same direction, and that direction is the same as the rotation of the Sun (98% of the system's mass). None of the major planets orbit in a retrograde direction.

--What determines the speed of rotation?

Nothing precise. The speed is what it is. It comes from the overall manner in which planetisimals assembled to form each planet. Then the speed slows down because of the tidal effect of the Sun and any massive object in orbit around each planet. Earth is presently slowing down at the rate of one-second-per-day over 40,000 years. It was already understood in the early 1800s that this "braking" caused by the tidal bulge rubbing against the bottom of shallower seas, was also causing the recession of the Moon (its orbit slowly increasing in size by roughly 4 cm per year).

--How long to form a Solar system?

There is only one Solar system (Solar being the adjective relative to OUR Sun), others are called planetary systems - or systems of planets. Depends on the moment when you start the chronometer. From the formation of the cloud of gas and dust (elements produced by earlier supernova), the shock wave that triggered the compression and gravitational collapse, the moment when enough mass had reached a "central point" thus taking over the pull of gravity, the moment when that central mass became massive enough to trigger fusion of hydrogen in its core?

Most of this was already understood when Sir James Hopwood Jeans explained how larger clouds could collapse into a cluster of stars, each with its own orientation and direction (everything within each system sharing that direction).

When that last one happened (start of hydrogen fusion), roughly 5 000 000 000 years ago (5 billion in the short scale for naming numbers, 5 milliard for the rest of the world), the light pressure pushed back all the "loose stuff" beyond the orbit of Neptune, when it formed the minor objects - like Pluto - in the Kuiper belt and in the Oort cloud. Jan Oort had already described this in or around 1950.

For our Solar system, the whole process (from the trigger of the cloud's collapse) took between 9 and 11 billion years.

--Can any one answer any of this?

Yes. And the answers were already common knowledge BEFORE the creation of NASA.

• 11 months ago

Actually astronomers and astrophysicists have answered all your questions. But to my way of thinking you're allowed only one question per Answer. So which one would you like answered?

• 11 months ago

>>Maybe mankind should first answer the question, when,what,why,how, 

>>planets orbit our sun??

When they orbit - they vary, based on the gravitational pull of the sun, and the distance of each planet.

What they orbit - the sun

Why they orbit - they're basically *falling* into the sun, but their lateral speeds keep them missing it - which is essentially what an orbit is...

How they orbit - Probably the sum of answers above; we see orbital motion throughout our solar system - moons orbiting planets, planets orbiting the sun, other planets orbiting their stars, and galaxies orbiting other galaxies...

>>Why circular direction? 

If you check, no orbit is perfectly circular.  Earth's is close, but our distance to the sun varies by more than 3 *million* miles over the course of our year. 

>>why specific spacing distance? 

That has to do with where the planets formed, and where they could safely orbit without pulling too much on each other.  It's thought that our early solar system may have had *hundreds* of planetoids, which collided and melded with each other as time went on, ultimately leaving the 8 planets (and the dwarf planets) we're familiar with today. 

>>why same direction "all clockwise except one" ? 

Actually, I think they *all* orbit counter-clockwise (at least, when viewed from above the North Pole)... is there one that doesn't?  I haven't heard of that one.  And, the motion is thought to have started because the primordial disk was moving in the same direction; as the planets formed from collisions and in-falling material, they already had their motion around the sun. 

>>What determines speed of the rotation?

Many factors... Mercury is in a 3/2 tidal lock with the sun - it's rotation has been pulled by it's proximity with the sun.  Venus' rotation actually makes it's day *longer* than it's year; in Venus' case, it's thought to be the sum of impacts on the planet by in-falling debris.  Earth got it's rotation from a huge impact by a Mars-sized object which created the moon... Our day was thought to be a short 5 to 10 hours long immediately afterwards, but tidal forces of the moon slowed our rotation, to the 24 hour day we know now. The outer planets - Jupiter, Saturn, etc., are like mini-solar systems... Jupiter's rotation is less than 10 hours long, Saturn's is a bit over 10 hours, and probably due to the majority of it's mass being pulled *in* close to the planet, increasing the speed of it's rotation to increase. 

Pluto is tidally locked with it's largest moon, Charon - they both only see one side of each other. 

>>How long are we talking for a solar system to form? 

I've seen many estimates, and they change all the time. The latest I've seen is about 1/2-billion years.  (In fact, here's a link to that effect: http://lasp.colorado.edu/~bagenal/1010/SESSIONS/11...

>> and how accurate is that guess...…..

Getting more accurate the more we know, but... I don't know if there's *proof* behind it...

>>Can anyone answer any of this? 

I have it a shot...

>>Before we drive to marrs maybe mankind should pass the space driving test

Agreed... but, I'd like to get to Mars before my time is up... I'd love to see the first bootprints in the red soil. 

• 11 months ago

This is how God intended it to be. Do not question his ways.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.