Ly asked in SportsVolleyball · 3 months ago

What position should I play for volleyball?

Which volleyball position should I be? I’ve only played for 5-6 months in club volleyball and people were surprised and thought I’ve played for a few years. I am an outside hitter. And I really enjoyed playing that position because I get to hit and receive balls and play a lot and touch the ball a lot. However as time goes by, I found out my strong suit. I’m a LEFTY and hitting on the right side as an opposite gives me more control and a lot more power, but they touch the ball less and don’t receive that much either. But I’m also a very good receiver and is very agile. I am a short girl standing at 5’2” and everyone thinks that I’d be an amazing libero but liberos don’t hit and don’t play often. High-school is coming up and I am wanting to try-out. My friends are taller than me and there’s one girl at my school who stands at 6’0” and my highschool would be triple the people attending so I am very hesitant, afraid I won’t make it in and if I did I would be in a position I don’t enjoy playing. So I wanted some opinions. My club team is middle height, ranging from 5’0” to 6’0” but I still play outside. and I know highschool would be much tougher to make it so I wanted to know if I should be outside, opposite, or libero.

Frankly, it’s more up to the coach what position you would play rather then you.  It’s depend on what the team needs - and volleyball is a team sport.  

If you want to increase your chances of making the team change your attitude.  It shouldn’t be about what you want, how many touches you get it’s about how you can best help the team be successful.  More then any other sport volleyball is a team sport.  Doesn’t matter how good of a hitter you are, if the libero doesn’t make a good pass to the setter and the setter doesn’t set well you won’t get a good hit. You should have respect for all the positions.

As a coach, I know I can coach a skill.  It’s much harder to coach an attitude. During try outs I look for attitude as much as skill. Who has the enthusiasm and the positive energy?  Who supports her team mates?  Who is willing to jump in and give something a try?  Who will listen to me and incorporate what I told them in their next attempt?  I coach a team and I need the parts to work well together instead of someone focused mainly on themselves and what they want. I need a team players.  Is that you?

• Ly2 months agoReport

Right. I understand. At that time, all I could think of is 'I want to play volleyball. I was still new to it I wasn't sure which position I should try out for. Volleyball is a team sport & the players should be able to work together with their teammates, improving and helping each other, not just me

Libero.

Your height is a disadvantage for attacking (spiker) and defending (blocker). A libero is not useless as you think. For instance, the libero occasionally receives after the opponent serves/attacks the ball and acts as a setter.