promotion image of download ymail app
Brittany asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Do I need a kennel license to help dogs?

Do I need a kennel lisence in the state of PA? I would be taking under 12 dogs a year. I would be taking dogs due to abuse or owner surrender. I would be taking donations for their supplies, vet visits, shots, getting they spayed/neutered. Their would be a small rehoming fee. Do I need a kennel license for this? Are their legal things I'd need to worry about? Dont want to rush into this without getting all the information I'd need, just dont really know where to start. 

6 Answers

  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    It is ill advised to try and rescue and/or rehome dogs with out knowing PRECISELY what to expect and how to do it.  It would be my advice to work as a volunteer with a no-kill shelter and/or several rescue groups, BEFORE embarking on this effort. You need to know what it is going to cost and it may cost FAR MORE than you think.

    You are likely to need extra insurance or a rider, in case a dog bites somebody or they slip and fall on your property and you need LEGAL (as in lawyer-approved) adoption and surrender forms.  Don't think somebody will not challenge you at some point, - in court.

    You'd need to check on YOUR ZONING and whether you can run a kennel (or not) and determine if your town or municipality has a RESTRICTION on total number of pets you can have (from 2 to 4) at any one time on your property.  In my county, towns VARY (WIDELY) on how many dogs and cats you can legally have.  There may be extra fees, if all are not spayed or neutered.  Noise ordinances on barking may apply (regardless of number of dogs) and if you have any nearby neighbors who do not LIKE dogs or feel you will LOWER the value of their home or property (by having a kennel) expect a court fight.

    Unless you are independently WEALTHY, you are UNLIKELY to make enough on adoptions to cover your veterinary expenses & so you will also NEED a job that PAYS well and allows you to still do this work.  Simply being a FOSTER for a shelter or 501-C adoption group, might be a better and less expensive option.  Otherwise, you will have NO help or support, either financial or in finding/getting homes for the animals.  Harder to place animals, take longer to re-home.

    • ...Show all comments
    • Brittany2 months agoReport

      I think I may just rescue some for myself to keep and then also donate/volunteer at local shelters. I have one pitbull that I rescued, love her to death 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Depends on YOUR town and how many dogs are in your home at one time. Most likely you would need a facility license. You also can't take donations without paying taxes on that money unless you set up a 501C charity.

    You sound like you don't have a freaking clue. If you want to foster animals do so through a shelter.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You need to start by asking at a local level.

    I suggest you try volunteering with a local rescue before starting one of your own.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    I work in rescue.  If you are unable to determine whether or not you would need a kennel LICENSE (which is how it's spelled) in Pennsylvania you have no business getting into rescue.  You are taking donations?  Are your plans to be registered and insured as a business or a not for profit?

    How would you advertise?  As a business or a not for profit?

    This NOT a question of opening your door to dogs that need homes.  This is a BIG LEGAL ISSUE involving liability insurance and tax issues.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    In every county in the nation they regulate how many dogs you can have on your property. In PA, you must have a current kennel license if you operate a facility that keeps, harbors, boards, shelters, sells, gives away or transfers a total of 26 or more dogs in any one calendar year. Dogs and cats 3 months of age or older are required to have a current rabies vaccination.

    • Ninefinger
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    In many PA municipalities, owning more than four of any species makes you a kennel and requires a license.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.