Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

What's a good way to avoid dogs gaining weight during recall and leash training? ?

Hi ive started training my dog, he's 5 and I'm starting to see improvements already from day 1, how can I make him avoid gaining weight? He gets fed in the morning and in the evening so what I did was instead of that plus treats for training I spread all his meals into treats throughout the day for training, is this a good idea? To keep him in shape I just usually use a toy toy wihh him to fire him out or kick a ball around the garden so he can run around as short walks to teach him walking next to heel and using a training line tied to a tree doesn't tire him out enough, do you have any tips that you've used with your dog whilst training him? Thank you 

Stop giving him treats for training! Dogs don't need them to follow directions. Give the dog PRAISE, ear rubs, etc. Then if you MUST give a treat give it ONE at the end of the training session. Make it something healthy like a raw chicken foot, turkey neck, chicken wing. Dried liver or kidney. A frozen or raw marrow bone to chew on. ANYTHING but grocery store dog treats which are made of JUNK dogs don't need.

• Amber

Well, exercise is the key to this problem.

1) If you can, weight out what he eats. Feed less in his meals so he can have the treats. I used to give chicken and lean turkey as treats instead of actual dog food treats. 

1) Smart dog owners MEASURE the food they feed, it is far easier than you THINK, to "OVER ESTIMATE" and feed more than you THINK you are, unless you DO measure.  And I mean use a measuring cup, or mark a plastic drink cup at exactly 1 cup, etc. And...if you MEASURE the food - you can CUT the total amount fed, if dog is GAINING WEIGHT!

2) You need to be AWARE that calories per cup, vary widely even within the same brand of dog food.  As dogs get older or less active, they may need a LOWER calorie food.

3) I NEVER train with food kibble.  There is NOTHING special or exciting or especially MOTIVATING about it.  I want the dog to LOOK FORWARD to training!!  (Now you can choose NOT to use food) & to use a toy - instead.  But I do use very TASTY treats, not HUNKS - very SMALL bits, which go a lot further.  I also prefer to use moist or semi moist meaty treats so dog does not have so much trouble swallowing it. 

for additional summer exercise  do land & water retrieving and on walks I use a doggie back pack (made by Ruffwear) with weight added (like water bottles or soup cans) to make dog exercise harder & use more calories.... on a BRISK walk.  Can you do 5 miles in 45 minutes? - WE CAN!

A 5 year old dog should only be getting fed ONCE a day.

My tip is short and to the point.  I have NEVER trained using treats.  Never.  My dogs were trained using praise.

You ARE aware of the dangers of feeding a dog and then exercising the dog, right?

And my dogs have all been GSD, headstrong, still never used treats.

Just feed a little less in his meals if you are using treats to train with... simple as that. 

• Jojo

Good advice Lorraine.