Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

I've been depressed for years, haven't gotten any better but I take care of myself physically, I work out everyday and eat extremely healthy?

and I tan all the time for light therapy. On a scale of 1 to 10 on how badly I want to get better, I rank an 11 at least I'm so f**king desperate. It's making me violent and want to hurt people (which I've already been busted for last summer) Does that mean I'm going to get better?

29, male

Minestrone with beans, barley, vegetables and red meat, PB&J w/ 12-grain bread, banana, concentrated vegetable juice, whey protein, chili, brown rice (sometimes), avacodo, tuna fish (or ground turkey, or sirloin steaks), cottage cheese, salad

Favorite Answer

Have you given thought to where the depression is actually coming from? Is it just an illness which can be treated by keeping fit and taking medicines, or is it more of a philosophic / spiritual problem where you are depressed because you are lost, lacking purpose and perhaps burdened by guilt (or at least a vague unease) about sins? I'm asking this as a genuine question, because whilst I'm sure some depression is medical I think the non-medical side of things often gets overlooked, especially as society gets more secular.

If you want a starting point to reflect on some of the deeper questions, I would suggest you take advantage of this being Easter weekend and try following the story of the death and resurrection of Christ over the next three days. Good Friday (today) is the day of suffering and death on the cross, Easter Saturday is the strange and silent desolation of the tomb, and Easter Sunday is the joy of the resurrection. The overall message is that, with God's help, suffering and selfless love can be embraced and, if we are patient, will lead to triumph.

If you could win a prize by hitting a target with an arrow and the arrows were free, what would you say to someone who asked you, "How many arrows do you want?" You wouldn't say, "Which is the best one?" You'd say, "How many can I have?"

The beauty of self-help is that there's a variety of things that can be combined with the standard treatments and each other -they're mostly easy.

I have to say though that treating depression with nothing but self-help is experimental, and treating a severe case this way is very risky.

What self-help is especially good for is stress management, which is valuable for preventing cases of depression if you're prone to coming down with depression.

I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This answer has details, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS - 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

My recent answers have advice for coping with the C-19 crisis that's made things difficult for many of us.

It's great that you take care of your physical self, but you need to find out what's causing your depression.  Either it was something that happened to you, the way you were brought up, relationship issues, or something else. Talking to a professional and finally addressing those issues will help you move forward.

.Be careful because the minestrone you are eating likely uses simple carbohydrates for the pasta.... Simple carbs are white rice, white pasta, white bread, etc. that spike your insulin rapidly and negatively affect mood....remove refined/simple carbohydrates from your diet and replace them with whole grains (millet, quinoa, barley, barley, coucous, etc.) or whole wheat (brown) pasta......I would also replace the red meat with chicken, turkey, and low-mercury fish because red meat can cause depression in some people....Also avoid the Tuna because tuna is typically high in mercury ...Safer seafood choices are Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon, Sardines (Pacific), Anchovies, and Atlantic Mackerel....These are also full of Omega 3 fatty acids that are great for the brain....In order to detox the mercury you've been getting from the Tuna I recommend you consume a lot of Chlorella (only purchase organic from Taiwan) and Cilantro (organic)...Use a pure plant-based protein (like Hemp) instead of whey protein....Eat lots of ANTIOXIDANTS in Berries, Green Tea, CaCao, Leafy Green Vegetables, Turmeric (w/black pepper) and Ginger...Good supplements are SAMe and St. Johns Wort...Get natural Laundry Detergent (made without triclosan, optical brighteners, sulfates, phosphates) and Deodarant (non-aluminum)......Get rid of aluminum pots and pans you have...Meditate and practice mindfulness.