Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

How to stay healthy when  spouse works in healthcare  during corona virus?

My husband works as a respiratory therapist and my son and I are able to stay home due to the virus, I am working from home since my company let us telecomute once cases of corona virus started popping up. My question is how do i protect my self when my husband goes to work each day while my son live at home with him?

• David

OK, that is a tough question. The problem is your husband's job title. He is (or will be) infected with COVID-19. It's just a matter of time, if he's not caught it YET. That's awkward, as it would be extremely dangerous for you and the son to live in the same home. I'm not going to tell you what to do and I'm not going to tell your husband what to do. But if I was your husband? I myself would temporarily set up a tent in the back yard and sleep in there. Maybe take showers at work. You can pass him food and clean clothes by leaving them on the back porch. But when he passes back dirty stuff, be sure you are wearing mask and gloves to handle it. Wash his laundry seperately and dry at high heat.

I would also suggest both of you (wife and husband) supplement vitamins C and D and zinc, daily.

Same way as everyone else. Wash hands often. Sanitize often touched surfaces. Have him wash up/shower as soon as he gets home, putting his clothes straight into the washer.

Practice social isolation, even if it means sleeping in different rooms - for now.

u disinfect EVERYTHING several times a day--door knobs, light switches, tv controllers, yalls cell phones, cabinet doors, car keys..

if u have disinfectant wipes, keep some on his car so he can wipe down the steering wheel and gear shifter and door handles.

as soon as he gets home he should go straight to the shower, throw his clothes in the washing machine immediately.

hog up on vitamin c.

Him being in the medical field means he already knows all this but all u can do is try as hard as possible to keep yall safe.

good luck, its a mess and i really do appreciate anyone who does a good job and works in high fields.

i could never be thankful enough to all the medical workers who helped take care of my Momma and Daddy when they were their sickest and dying.

• kristy

You have to be separated

• A.J.

My brother-in-law and niece are medical doctors in New York working all day long with Covid-19 patients in hospitals. They decided they will remain separate from my sister even at home. They stay in separate rooms and sleep in separate rooms, and have a large enough home to use separate bathrooms, and regularly clean surfaces with sanitizing cleaners. This has been done for weeks now.

The doctors wear protective equipment all day, but remain daily at risk of infection and bringing home the virus.

You must decide the extent of actions for your household.

Covid-19 acts as a viral pneumonia. There are no proven medicines or prevention. You may take a multivitamin. C, D, Zinc help to boost the immune system. You may gargle with salt water. I read in China it may kill it if in the throat before lungs.  Wash your hands frequently. Have a digital thermometer available.