Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

How'd you react to someone of a different nationality who speaks your home language that's not English fluently wanting to speak it with you?

random example - You speak Spanish at home, but are also fluent in English .. a classmate or coworker who doesn't speak Spanish at home yet is fluent wants to speak it with you for additional practice and improve their skills / confidence in it .. Are you the kind of person to say " At school / work, talk to me in English " or do you comply so they can get better / more confident ?

What if situation one: You'd started out in English, not knowing there's another language in common .. Situation two: You didn't know that person until they heard you communicating in that language and immediately want to use it with you. 

I simply don't understand this obsession so many Americans have about people speaking other languages. If I happen to know Italian/Japanese/Turkish, and an Italian/Japanese/Turkish speaker discovers the fact and wants to chat to me in that language, I'm most certainly not going to be all, "You're in America. Speak English or DIE!!!!!!!!!!"

We live in a very large world. There's PLENTY of room for people to switch languages around ALL THE TIME if they feel like it.

• Zirp

If someone foreign wants to speak Dutch I would appreciate it.

If that person lives in the Netherlands and speaks to me in English I may even reply in Dutch.

I would feel happy if s\he wants to practice my native language with me. I wouldn't care if such person wants to "use" me in order to practice his linguistic skills with me.

I'm still trying to convince Americans to speak English, so I'm going to bow out and say let your friendship determine it..