Dell Optiplex 790 motherboard upgrade?

I currently have a dell optiplex 790, running Windows 10, 12 GB RAM, i5-2400, and GTX 970 graphics card. I want to upgrade my cpu but my current motherboard only supports up to i7-2600. Is it possible to upgrade my motherboard with a newer optiplex motherboard? I guess I’m wonder if I can, what motherboard would be recommended. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks 

Well that depends on if you have a the Mid-Tower version, because the Mid-Tower OptiPlex uses a standard mATX motherboard. You could throw a mATX aftermarket motherboard into the case of your OptiPlex 790, provided that you have a Mid-Tower version. 

One problem that might arise from using an Aftermarket motherboard is the front panel connector, which controls the reset, HDD light, and Power Switch, might not be compatible with what's on the motherboard. As an alternative, you could buy a power switch and somehow fashion that to the case. 

The other problem that may potentially arise is with the CPU cooler. Dell and HP use a cooler that screws down to a special backplate that attached to the motherboard. However the cooler you have with your 790 should work on other Dell and possibly HP motherboards. If you get an aftermarket motherboard then you'll likely have to buy a new CPU cooler.

There's always the board from the OptiPlex 990 MT which is dirt cheap on ebay. I think you can get one for around $20-30. What I remember reading about the OptiPlex 990 motherboards is you can get them to work with a Sandy Bridge Xeon E3 processor but I don't think they work with the likes of an i7-3770. 

The OptiPlex 9010 was used for the 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge processors. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-9010-MT-Min...

The OptiPlex 9020 was used for the 4th Gen Haswell processors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-9020-LGA115...

OptiPlex motherboards are known to be fussy with RAM. Hopefully they will work with what you have but be ready for any problems that might arise.

You can also buy an new and better desktop case for $35 to 50. One of the downfalls of these Dell and HP cases is the limited airflow for cooling the hardware.

They make a Dell optiplex 790 with an i7 3.1

You can get them off of eBay all day long for $150. and put yourself a 4 gig graphics card off of eBay that cost about $59 and it'll play just about any game that you can want to play on the internet

Pretty sure you can upgrade your motherboard