Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 2 months ago

Can political views still cooperate and live with each other, peacefully?

Before I get into detail, I would like to request to keep all mentions of Trump out of the answers you all will give. This has nothing to do with him through this question, even though I am a Republican. I try to avoid talking about things like politics and religion, because those are two very sensitive things that can set a person off. This question is to us as a people. 

I try to get along with mostly everyone and I work with people who are Democratic. I'd even say I am the only one if not one of the few Republicans in my department alone. We do our job. On break I hear talk about certain things going on for the country. I leave myself out of it. I do not want to offend anyone by no means with my opinion, or find myself in a world of harsh language or even physically harmed. I often keep to myself anyway regardless of the setting. 

But outside of things like a job, is it possible for people who are Republican AND Democratic to cooperate with each other? Going out having fun, helping out with a chore or a task, or whatever the case may be. 

In addition, could there eventually be peace between the two groups or the people? 

• Foofa

Most people get along just fine with those of other political stripes. But it's not like we don't know where all this het up infighting came from. It started with the abolition of the FCC Fairness Doctrine in 1987 and became a fait accompli round about 2000 when the traditional newspapers started losing ground to the internet. All this constant urging to fight in the streets is nothing more than a strategy by the media to gather clicks and eyeballs. Very few people are so politically driven that they'd risk life and limb over it. But to see what passes as "news" in this nation right now you'd think we were all involved in mortal combat against our political adversaries.

• Clive

What does this have to do with elections?

If America WANTED peace between the political parties there would be peace.  The conflict exists because it serves a purpose.  

You have a choice.  You can FIND enjoyment in the conflict like the people who want and need it to continue OR you can avoid it, but you aren’t going to change anyone’s mind or make anyone think that peace is better.  Sorry.