promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Are Ruby and Sapphire popular names these days?

I see it mentioned a lot on this site and just wondering if it's another Ashley and Britney like craze? 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I know multiple people named Ruby from ages 5-37 years old.  Most of them are on the younger end of that range though.  I don't know any Sapphires.  If you want a more accurate gauge of popularity, go to the Social Security Administration website.  They have been tracking the top 1000 baby names since 1880.  I find it easiest to understand if I look at the percentage of babies born each year with a specific name because I know 1% means that 1 out of every 100 girls born that year have that name.  I also know .1% means 1 out of a thousand and .01 means 1 out of 10,000.

In truth, even the most popular names today aren't very popular because people are purposely seeking out more unique names.  Bottom line: if you love a name, you should use it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Not particularly. According to the Social Security Administration, neither one was in the top 100 names given to baby girls last year.

• 2 months ago

Ruby was common about 10 years ago, its not so common now, i really like the name ruby i think its sweet and the name grows with the child. 

Sapphire is tottaly uncommon where im from  its a name too

• 2 months ago

in ghettoo areas

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I think it’s just one or two posters on here who mention them all the time.

Ruby is fairly popular generally but Sapphire not at all.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That med change didn't help I take it?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Eh, the tuna suffix is definitely gaining more steam. I'm a nurse and there's been two moms who've named their daughters Dolltuna and Jantuna in the past week

• 2 months ago

Ruby is fairly popular and was one of the top 100 girls' names in 2018. Sapphire is not popular at all -- not even one of the top 1000 names. You can check the popularity of a name here: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They seem very popular but then again, I have not met a lot of people with that name.

• 2 months ago

You still see Ruby but usually older woman. And Sapphire is a very popular name for strippers...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.