Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Are Ruby and Sapphire popular names these days?

I see it mentioned a lot on this site and just wondering if it's another Ashley and Britney like craze? 

I know multiple people named Ruby from ages 5-37 years old.  Most of them are on the younger end of that range though.  I don't know any Sapphires.  If you want a more accurate gauge of popularity, go to the Social Security Administration website.  They have been tracking the top 1000 baby names since 1880.  I find it easiest to understand if I look at the percentage of babies born each year with a specific name because I know 1% means that 1 out of every 100 girls born that year have that name.  I also know .1% means 1 out of a thousand and .01 means 1 out of 10,000.

In truth, even the most popular names today aren't very popular because people are purposely seeking out more unique names.  Bottom line: if you love a name, you should use it.

Not particularly. According to the Social Security Administration, neither one was in the top 100 names given to baby girls last year.

Ruby was common about 10 years ago, its not so common now, i really like the name ruby i think its sweet and the name grows with the child. 

Sapphire is tottaly uncommon where im from  its a name too

in ghettoo areas

I think it’s just one or two posters on here who mention them all the time.

Ruby is fairly popular generally but Sapphire not at all.

That med change didn't help I take it?

Eh, the tuna suffix is definitely gaining more steam. I'm a nurse and there's been two moms who've named their daughters Dolltuna and Jantuna in the past week

Ruby is fairly popular and was one of the top 100 girls' names in 2018. Sapphire is not popular at all -- not even one of the top 1000 names. You can check the popularity of a name here: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

They seem very popular but then again, I have not met a lot of people with that name.

You still see Ruby but usually older woman. And Sapphire is a very popular name for strippers...