Mariano asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

What if you eat butter that was out of the refrigerator for a day?

Today, Thursday, April 9, I had hot cakes with butter for breakfast, but the butter was out for more or less a day (I didn't know) and I thought that it had only been a few hours outside, so I asked my aunt who told me that she had pulled out yesterday afternoon around 6 PM, so I started reading about leaving the butter out and I read about a bacteria called S. Aeurus and that you could be nauseated, have diarrhea and have toxic shock and I'm starting to worry and have a few questions 

1-How long does it take for the butter to become bad?

2-I did not serve myself a lot of butter if not as a tablespoon, will I be fine or is that enough to make me sick?

3-Is it possible that the bacteria originated in the butter in that time?

4-Do I need to go to the hospital or when is it necessary to go?

5-If it was less than a day then is it still good?

6-Will I get sick or will I be okay?

7-Could it give me toxic shock, could it only give me an infection or could it only give me diarrhea?

Thanks in advance. 

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

In the U.K. we leave out butter in a dish in the kitchen, it's to hard to spread cold from the fridge.

As a former caterer, I have no idea what you are talking about with bacteria. In all food producers butter is always left out.

Whatever you have read is nonsense. Sour milk from which butter is made is used in baking and pancakes.

UK

It's fine. I leave mine out on the counter indefinitely,

so it will be soft to spread on toast, and nothing bad has happened.

• Edna

You probably don't have real butter; you probably have margarine. But , whichever - it will probably "keep" without refrigeration for at least a day or two, although it might sort of "melt" into a tired little puddle.  

You know - it's kind of funny. Back in the olden days (before all the American rural areas had electricity in homes), my grandparents stored milk and butter down in the well, to keep it  fresh and keep it from spoiling. There was a special little metal container that was manufactured and sold especially to store those things in a well. The container was raised and lowered into the well at the end of a rope attached to a pulley.   

That's how they stored milk and butter, and eating it never made them sick. I guess they must have been "tougher" back then than we are today.

• Tavy

Margarine????  So he cannot read the label to see if it is butter or Marg.  Realy ????

• Tulip

We never put butter in the fridge

Take a chill pill butter has been around for 5000 years you'll know if you eat rancid butter it'll taste like crap you would have spit it out!

Butter is protected by the lactobacillus acidophilus organism! Milk and butter are generally products that have protective organisms in them you'll know when butter is bad for you it'll taste bad for you and organisms don't go to growing in butter unless of course you get blood from a diseased cow on your butter don't worry about it butters been around longer than me and you. You won't die from day-old butter.

• k w

I do it all the time cuz I don't like butter that's too cold.....

• audrey

Lots of people leave butter out all the time. Chill out. You re fine.

Many people do not refrigerate butter; so I doubt you will get sick, you will not need to go the the hospital and you certainly will not get toxic shock from it (Where did that come from? Its not from staph ingested).  Butter can become rancid (not infected) but that is obvious and not common.  I advise stay away from the internet. staph food poisoning is common and almost everyone gets over it BTW.

• Olive

Honestly I wouldnt, cause gives way to bacteria if not refrigerated

• Tavy

It's rubbish

It will be fine.