I have an Iphone 7 & want to change carriers.  #IMEI cannot be tnsfrd but new co sells same phone?

Which carrier do you have and which carrier do you plan on going to? I suspect your phone is probably still carrier locked. Only the original carrier can unlock a phone. And they only do it if your account is in good standing. Meaning your bill has to be current and paid. Then the IMEI number can be used by the other carrier. Also with iPhones you sometimes have to back up and erase the phone for the unlock to “take“.

• coni1 month agoReport

Very informative.  Thank you  I have ATT on my daughters plan but get a very poor signal.  I have Spectrum for TV & internet so was planning on switching to that.  My daughter would probably need to have them unlock it?

Make sure your phone is unlocked and paid for, and your bill is in good standing. It isn't going anywhere until your old carrier is happy.