Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

Could I be pregnant?

I’m really paranoid that I might be pregnant. I haven’t really had any symptoms, except maybe some moodiness, increased hunger and urination, but I had missed five days of my pill when me and my ex-boyfriend had unprotected sex. This date was 03/29 (a week before ovulation). We had broken up and I stopped taking my pills, but were intimate multiple times when we got back together (just split again recently). He finished inside each time we had sex. I didn’t take emergency contraception after (I took eight of my birth control pills over two doses because I heard that counts as EC, but my brand of birth control hasn’t been approved for EC use, so I don’t know if it worked or not). I ovulated on the fifth of this month, so four days ago, and we had unprotected sex again on this date (04/05). I restarted my pills on the 30th of April, but had missed about two days when we had sex during ovulation. So what are my chances of being pregnant? I’m not with my boyfriend anymore and he has always said he’s not ready for kids right now. Am I protected due to the birth control still being in my system or is there a good chance I could be pregnant? 

*30th of March, not April

• Edna

You did NOT ovulate on the 5th of March, or at any other time in March. You never ovulate when you're on birth control pills - not even if you stop taking the pills and re-start taking the pills in mid-cycle. Birth control pills prevent ovulation from ever taking place. It can sometimes take up to 6 months or longer for the effect of birth control pills to completely get out of your system, before you begin ovulating again.

This all took place sometime in March - March 30 at the latest. Today is April 10. Even on the slight possibility that you did get pregnant some time in March, it's much too soon for you to be experiencing any physical signs of pregnancy. You would now be less than one full month pregnant, and most women don't begin experiencing any signs of pregnancy until they are at least 6 to 8 weeks pregnant. Moodiness, increased hunger and urination are NOT early signs of pregnancy.

You restarted your pills 21 days into the future?

• Edna

@Elevate:  Why did you waste OUR time?  You're the one who made the typo in your question - we didn't. Why are you even bothering to take birth control pills? -- it's obvious you don't have as clue as to how they work to prevent pregnancy.

Sure, you could be.  Nothing you can do now but wait. I would encourage you to call your ob/gyn and tell them everything and get some medical advice about whether or not you should continue take the pill or not. Since you've totally messed up your hormones and cycle, there really is not way for you to guess when your period should start -- your previous cycle is no longer valid.  

Let's also review a couple of things regarding the pill:

1. It only works if you take it every day.  

2. Once you stop taking it and the hormones suppressing ovulation leave your body, you body will go back into some kind of normal cycle.

3.  A pill is not like a condom.  It need to be taken daily, not at the time of the sex act.  If you have difficultly taking a pill daily, please consider using a condom and or using some other form of birth control like the Depo shot or an IUD that doesn't require daily compliance.

4. You've really done yourself a disservice by stoping your pills in the middle of a cycle and they using them as a Plan B alternative.  This is dangerous.  Again, please, please, please call your ob/gyn.

< but I had missed five days of my pill when me and my ex-boyfriend had unprotected sex >

Unprotected sex has been linked to pregnancy in multiple scientific studies.  That's a big yes, you could be pregnant.  not that you are, just that you could be.

• Tulip

You don't ovulate on the pill moron

• Edna

Elevate:  You  never ovulate at ANY time  when you're on birth control pills. It can sometimes take up to 6 months or more (even after you stop taking birth control pills) before you begin ovulating again.

Sex without birth control is the single most popular way to become parents.

Take a test.