Can sexual orientation be changed..?

If not... explain why? 

Just research sexual fluidity, it happens ALL THE TIME but most people choose to remain ignorant and believe sexual orientation is fixed and never changes except in major brain damage.

No one understands how sexual attraction works, but the overwhelming anecdotal evidence is that that sexual orientation is something we're born with and that it resists any effort to change it. Such efforts most often leave the person depressed, anxious and often suicidal.

Yes, very very occasionally through freaks of nature. There's a case of a heterosexual man who had a stroke due to a head injury in a rugby game and when he came round from his coma he was gay. Trans women on HRT also find that in about a third of cases they become sexually attracted to their birth-assigned gender when they previously fancied their own gender, according to the NHS. But a homosexual has never become heterosexual as far as I know, although there are plenty of fundamentalist Christians who pretend they have.

• Alexander

He means the other direction, gay to straight.

I don't know. Maybe if you still have the receipt?

• Sky

No, it can't be changed because it's hard wired into the individual's brain from the time of development before birth.  However, the expression and feelings of that sexual orientation can evolve over time as the individual experiences different thoughts and feelings, meets different people, deals with various social pressures that dictate what's expected of them in terms of attraction and relationships, and learns new things about love, relationships, and the various sexual orientations.  Now, that has to do with the core attractions a person feels due to their sexual orientation.  Related but separate to that is what sexual practices the individual finds they are comfortable with doing or would be interested to try, as they go through life and learn about new possibilities (such as a heterosexual person finding they can enjoy the strictly sexual pleasures to be shared with someone of the same sex despite feeling zero attraction for the same sex, when previously they were under the impression that only homosexual people could engage in and enjoy that).

• Craig

NO, it can't.  Umm...

Well, let's just say there's no clear evidence that it's ever happened.  The reason the word "clear" is in there is due to the facts that 1) bisexuality exists, and 2) many bisexual people don't realize they are bisexual - they believe they are straight or gay, instead.

So in cases where people claim to have experienced a change in their sexuality, there is every possibility that they are actually bisexual...and therefore they aren't experiencing a change of sexuality.  Instead, they're just discovering the fact that they can enjoy sex with both genders, and they actually find sex with the new, unexplored gender to be more rewarding (at least for the moment).  For those who never considered the idea that they could be bisexual, that experience would SEEM like their sexuality had changed...but all that's happened is they've just discovered a potential they had all along.

So, there's no conclusive PROOF it CAN'T be changed.  (Keeping in mind that to rule something completely out of Nature requires a ****-ton of proof.)  There are just theories that explain everything that we've seen people do, in terms of who they like to have sex with, that do NOT INVOLVE changing sexuality.

As usual, the homophobic/troll who calls him//herself Elisabeth is suggesting "boob therapy" as a means to change one's sexual orientation.  Ask him/her what scientific experiments and papers have been written about this astounding discovery of hers.  I'd be interested in what case studies have been done.  What scientific papers has this miraculous cure been written up in?  Has he/she participated in any such experiments.  This "therapy" is only in his/her mind and is only further proof of the homophobia that exists there

There is no scientific or medical therapy, drug or operation that can change one's sexual orientation.  It is what it is.

Yes, it can.

Through boob therapy.

It is a treatment form where the patient carefully study images of boobs over time until he gradually understands them, and leave the homo way behind.

Sure.  Just like you can change the color of you eyes.

You can't just decide to change it. But sometimes, in my experience, it may slightly shift on its own. Or..? It may not. I guess in MOST cases, (especially with people that are either exclusively straight, or exclusively gay), it does not.

However, speaking as a more fluid person, who's been confused about her sexual orientation for most of her life? And who currently identifies as panromantic GREY asexual? Just.. It's hard to say how much I've actually CHANGED, and how much it's rather been a case of me coming to discover and explore myself, over time. But.. I've been through phases of thinking I was purely straight. (Because everyone was.) Then a lesbian. Then 100% asexual. And while I don't think I really WAS any of the other things..? I do sincerely think I at one point used to be WAY more asexual than I am now! More or less 100%, yes. But.. then I did psychedelics, and that really helped awaken something in me. On that level, too. And then..? I fell head over heals mutually in love with my now fiance! Who is just the SWEETEST, kindest, warmest, safest, most utterly accepting and amazing person to be with! Who never tries to pressure me into ANYTHING! (Unlike my desperate d*ckhead ex, sadly.) With the result being, I feel perfectly safe exploring whatever slightly sensual / sexual feelings and desires that I DO have, with him! And I am SO very grateful for that. <3 :)

So yeah... That's been my story, at least. :)