Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

What to say to someone who has lost their mother?

My brother in law's mother passed away this morning from covid 19. Going to call him to say how sorry I am but I don't really know what to say. I am a very quiet person and not good at talking on the phone. What sort of things should I say and how long should I expect to be on the phone to him. Any pointers to avoid awkward silences. I'm usually the sort of person who lets the other person do the talking

just tell him youre sorry that she passed

I'd just let him know i'm sorry for his loss. See how he responds, give him a chance to say what he wants to say. Then i'd ask him if he needs anything. I wouldn't keep him on the phone forever, but i'd let him talk if he wants. There's not much you can say, he just suffered a loss so let him know you care and that he's on your mind.

There's nothing wrong with giving/sending a gift card from a grocery store. Right now, i wouldn't take food because of the virus.

take care

If it helps, you will probably get voice mail.   When someone dies, it can get very hectic with arrangements that have to be made, informing people, etc.   Tell him you're very sorry for his loss, and for him to let you know if there's anything you can do. This should be a very short msg or convo, because there really isn't anything else to say. 

You might prefer to send him a message of support (text or whatever) if you don't like phoning. Besides, talking on the phone about it might be rather emotional for you both. 

Phone and say you have heard his dreadful news and say how sorry you are. If you knew his mother you could say something about the last time you met and how nice she was....something like that. If you didn't meet her, then say 'you must be feeling terrible - but I needed to let you know how sorry I am to hear this news and if there's anything I can do to help...….' Probably just asking him how he feels will elicit an answer from him and you can allow him to do the talking. You probably won't be on the phone too long unless he needs to get off his chest the circumstances of his mum's illness etc - in which case just be a good listener which I'm sure you are.

I would tell him you're there for him and ask if he needs anything.