Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

If you have Hazel eyes, what color eyes did both your parents have?

I've been reading about how we know a lot more than we used to about dominant and recessive genes in regards to eye color. I wanted some real world data to see what causes Hazel eyes. They know what it really is as far as why it happens, but for example, I have a dad with icy blue eyes and a mom with brown almost black eyes. My 3 siblings got some version of blue or blue green but I was the only one with hazel. I have a dark grayish blue ring around my eye and it gradually gets greener and greener til you get to the pupil, and then I have all these flecks of copper scattered randomly through the green. When I was in High school biology class I was told it was impossible for my family of 4 siblings to not have gotten my moms brown eyes lol. They didn't word it that way but thats basically what they implied lol.

Also my eyes were bright blue til around 8 years old when I started hitting puberty. By 12 there was no real blue to be seen.

Favorite Answer

Hazel eyes occur throughout Caucasoid populations, in particular in regions where blue, green and brown eyed peoples are intermixed. Hazel eyes are due to a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer. Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green. This is how many people mistake hazel eyes to be amber and vice versa. This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown/amber near the pupil and charcoal or dark green on the outer part of the iris (or vice versa) when observed in sunlight.

• MARK

The genetics of eye colour is too complex to be able to ask, 'My eyes are X colour what is the colour of my parents' eyes?'. If you have hazel eyes and you want to know the colour of your parents' eyes simply look at their eyes.