promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

If you have Hazel eyes, what color eyes did both your parents have?

I've been reading about how we know a lot more than we used to about dominant and recessive genes in regards to eye color. I wanted some real world data to see what causes Hazel eyes. They know what it really is as far as why it happens, but for example, I have a dad with icy blue eyes and a mom with brown almost black eyes. My 3 siblings got some version of blue or blue green but I was the only one with hazel. I have a dark grayish blue ring around my eye and it gradually gets greener and greener til you get to the pupil, and then I have all these flecks of copper scattered randomly through the green. When I was in High school biology class I was told it was impossible for my family of 4 siblings to not have gotten my moms brown eyes lol. They didn't word it that way but thats basically what they implied lol.

Update:

Also my eyes were bright blue til around 8 years old when I started hitting puberty. By 12 there was no real blue to be seen.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Hazel eyes occur throughout Caucasoid populations, in particular in regions where blue, green and brown eyed peoples are intermixed. Hazel eyes are due to a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer. Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green. This is how many people mistake hazel eyes to be amber and vice versa. This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown/amber near the pupil and charcoal or dark green on the outer part of the iris (or vice versa) when observed in sunlight.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The genetics of eye colour is too complex to be able to ask, 'My eyes are X colour what is the colour of my parents' eyes?'. If you have hazel eyes and you want to know the colour of your parents' eyes simply look at their eyes.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.