Do I have to buy Minecraft again?

I'd bought Minecraft a few years back and about a year ago I deleted the shortcut off my computer. Now a few friend want to play it and I can't seem to get it back. Do I have to buy it again?

Favorite Answer

As long as you remember your login details (e-mail address & password used for registration), you will be able to get back into Minecraft without repurchase.

All you have to do is visit https://www.minecraft.net/download to download the Java launcher (for Windows), which gives allows you to download the necessary version of Minecraft (as the servers may not immediately upgrade to the latest version, either by choice or by necessity with server mods).

Just make sure that both you & your friend are playing the same edition, as Java Edition is for PC's only while the Bedrock Edition is for all current consoles, mobile & Windows 10 (using XBox Live for it's online connectivity).

Please be aware that the Bedrock Edition is SOLD SEPARATELY (as Microsoft & Mojang has expired their Free Windows 10 Edition offer for those who purchased the Java Edition prior to the release of Windows 10) & will run you around $20 - $30, depending on the package (as the $30 package includes a starter pack).

You can download it again from minecraft.net.

If you only deleted the shortcut, the game still exists on your machine, you just have to find it and have the shortcut created again.

If you don't remember your login and not able to recover the account, then you will have to buy it again.