promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

What are middle names even used for?

My mom says that my name day is today even though it isn’t. My name isn’t even in that name day calendar. I realized that she was talking about my middle name but who even uses their middle name(s)? I have never ever have anyone call me by it or even saying it when reading my name.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because when your parents communicate with you when your civil they use your first name and when you screw up they can use your middle name as well so you know your in extensive trouble 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It's to tell between two Jennifer if they are cousins.

• 2 months ago

It's true many people never use their middle names, but traditionally they were given to honour a member of the family or a close family friend.

My middle name is that of my maternal grandmother's first name; one of my sisters has our aunt's first name as her middle name; another sister has my father's best friend's surname as her middle name.I feel this is a much worthier concept than flapping about on the Internet asking strangers "What name sounds cute with Kortnii?"

• 2 months ago

Some people use their middle names instead of their first names. Sometimes they're used to distinguish between two people with the same first and last names. Sometimes they're used to honor a family member or friend. But you're right that they often aren't used.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If you have a very popular first name and a very common last name, it helps, for instance, to tell one Ashley Miller from another Ashley Miller. Some people do use their middle name rather than their first name in business or politics. Presidents Thomas Woodrow Wilson and Stephen Grover Cleveland were known by their middle names rather than their first names. 

• 2 months ago

It is part of your identity .

In some cultures, notably Russia, you are called/received by you full name'.

President Kruschev of the USSR , always received 'Nikita Sergevich'.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Your 'middle' name in Russia is not what we mean by a 'middle name' elsewhere. In Russia your 'middle name' tells us your father's first name. Anna Ivanova Smirnova is Anna Smirnova, and her father's name was Ivan Smirnov..

• blank
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Many reasons such as to honor someone even to identify someone. It is more common for people to have the same first and last name then the same first, middle and last. Even though it does happen. Parents can also use a name they love as well other then just the first name. There are many reasons. These are only a few.

• 2 months ago

Middle names are traditional in many family and also they are used for legality issues, like wills and marriages and stuff.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In the past, I have used my middle name as my screen name on some websites.  (not currently doing that)

I have used my middle name for my "name" when in a group of friends and three of us had the same first name.

Middle names are a compromising point when parents can't agree on what name they want to use.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.