I'm going to watch my first Italian Neo-Realist film (Bicycle Thieves) tomorrow. Is there anything I should know beforehand?

I've had a lot of freetime recently and as a result I've started to expand my catalog of films. Tomorrow I'm going to see my first Italian neo-realist film. Vittorio De Sica's Bicycle Thieves. Sometimes when I see a type of film that's very unique from anything else I've ever seen I like to get some advice before I go in so I'm not completely lost. Recently I saw my first silent film (Buster Keaton's Sherlock Jr.) and I was a little worried before going in. But I saw a great youtube video that gave some helpful tips for people just starting to watch silent films. Turn off your phone, don't cheat by fastforwarding the film and don't listen to your own music or podcasts as you watch. It really helped me and it definitely factored into my enjoyment of the film. I'm only 18 and I only started watching old films recently so I'm mostly familiar with modern films. I'm used to the pacing in newer films so a lot of older films can feel slow and I can get bored (I saw My Man Godfrey recently which I thought I would like because Carole Lombard was in To Be or Not to Be which is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen and one of my favorite films of all time but I got so bored near the end of it, I started going on my phone). My knowledge of foreign films is also pretty limited and my ADD probably doesn't help. I picked Bicycle Thieves because it's a classic and it's short (less than 90 minutes). Do you have any tips for watching neo-realism without getting bored or distracted?

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.