Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

Is it possible to convert a light socket to be an electrical outlet?

Outside spotlight is being replaced and new lights require three prong connection. Is it possible to wire an outlet to where the spotlight used to be?

Favorite Answer

yes, but. Since it is outside, a GFCI is required by electrical code. the way this is done is to install a weather proof box with GFCI outlet inside in place of the light fixture one removes. This is a handyman job, not an electrician job. [Handyman is much cheaper.]

Source(s): grampa -- I'm a DIY guy. I've done exactly this as a place to conveniently connect my holiday lights and control them from a switch inside the house. In place of the fixture that I removed, I use a string of 100 white fairy lights strung around the porch area [except during holiday season, of course]
    • Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Technically, the existing light fixture is an outlet -- a lighting outlet, but not a receptacle outlet. It may already have a grounding conductor (many do).

Your "Favorite Answer" is WRONG, because you need a grounded outlet, and the light fixture IS NOT grounded.

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

I have checked many of our outdoor lights and all of them are, in fact, grounded.  Maybe Steven F put in his own lights improperly or stupidly hired someone to do it wrong.

yes, it is possible to convert it, however there might not be a ground wire present. just flip the breaker, take the cover off, undo the wiring for light socket and place into appropriate screws on the outlet, then screw the outlet into the box where the gut of the old light used to be (you might need to replace the box within the wall that it is mounted to with the wirebox for an outlet) but there might not be a ground wire, or possibly no mounting box behind the socket at all, just screwed into the wall. or you could use the same solution i use because messing with the socket is out of the question.. in my storage unit i have a freezer that has a 3 prong cord running off of the actual light socket via 2 prong outlet socket insert, to an oldschool extension cord shop light that has an 3 prong outlet on it, with the ground node removed from the cord plugged into the socket, and it works. i've even ran an electric leaf blower, and 2 different corded (3 prong) power tools off it with no problem. your new lights might work that way, just plugged into the socket of the light that is already there, but it honestly can be kinda dangerous and unwise to remove the ground from cords to run the appliance off 2 prongs, especially outdoor stuff.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Removing a grounding pin from an extension cord is a code violation, not to mention potentially dangerous (as are all code violations) and unnecessary.

Yes .

Only if the cable to the existing socket is twin and earth, which it should be. 

You need a weatherproof socket if it is outside and use a light circuit socket 

(or hardwire in) you don't want to go plugging your lawnmower into it.

Yes, you can remove the light socket and attach a new 3-prong connection.

not in the uk ..difference in thickness between lighting and socket circuits cable ..we use a ring main ..bother circuits are seperate 

Yes, buy an adapter at a hardware store. 

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

@Steven F: Why so dense? I am holding an adapter cord in my hand that contains a GFCI and doesn't require any "ground" whatsoever.