Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

How am I still legally a dependent of my parents?

I’m wondering since we’ll be receiving money from the US government due to COVID-19. I read that if I’m a dependent, that I won’t receive any money. But my question is since I’m 27 and have lived on my own for about 4 years, how are my parents still legally able to claim me? They say they are to pay for my insurance, but I have Medicaid. So I’m confused.

Updated 2 months ago:

They are claiming because I am disabled that they can legally claim me as a dependent. Is that true?

Updated 5 days ago:

Holy crap I got it! ‘Didn’t think it was going to happen. Now just to go to the bank before they change their mind!

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

Whether your parents claim you as a dependent on their tax returns is sort of an inter-family discussion you'll need to have. The fact remains that if they're claiming you and you're not filing taxes in your own right you ARE considered a dependent and therefore won't receive a payout in your own name. Your parents however should get $500 for your mere existence so maybe hit them up for a loan.

If you live on your own and support yourself, they are NOT legally able to claim you. Why are you not claiming yourself when you file?? Your insurance has nothing to do with it.

• Bethany2 months agoReport

They tell me they are claiming me because I’m on disability, which I am, and so that I have more insurance.

If they are providing financial support for you then yes. If not then no but to get your Covid-19 assistance money you would have to claim that your parents have been lying on their tax returns all these years. You might not want to want to do that.....?

• Bethany2 months agoReport

They provide me no financial support whatsoever. 

• PAMELA

At 27 no body can claim you, if you work you support yourself! you are not even living in your parents home are you?

• Bethany2 months agoReport

I am on disability, but I live on my own.

• R K

they can't claim you if all they pay for is your insurance. you can still file your own tax return even though someone else claims you. if you file your tax return before your parents do and you claim yourself, they can't. their return would not get excepted. also your over 17 so your parents wouldn't get any money for you anyway

They can't legally unless you are a dependent.

If you filed a tax return 2018 or 2019 the money is yours. If you didn't you may be able to file the short IRS form.

• Sally

I don't think they can legally claim you, so perhaps they're mistaken.

they can claim for what they please it will not get them anywhere.

if you have your own address they money is yours.

don't let your parents intimidate you into giving them your cash.