Gary asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My dog won't stop barking at me. Especially when I come in the bedroom close to my husband. Please Help!?

I need some advice. My and my husband has been married for 5 years. He has a Jack Russel that is about 10 to 12 years old. Normally, he wouldn't mind me being around my husband. But within the last, almost year or so, he has been acting differently. I usually sit in the living room and game and every so often, I have to come in the bedroom to get my phone. But whenever I get up and he is on the bed cuddling with him, he perks up and gets off the bed. Sometimes barking and my husband has to try and quiet him down. He also barks from underneath the bed whenever I come in at night and get in bed or if he is in his bed, he'll I guess anticipate me coming and crawl under the bed and does the above.I don't know if it is a territorial thing or not, but it is starting to become a problem and since we live in an apartment, we have neighbors above and below us, so I am worried that one of them is going to file a complaint and not to dive into extended details, but we don't want to get on anyone's bad side especially since we keep to ourselves. I am trying to get my husband to figure it out, but most of the time when I ask him why the dog does that, he says he don't know.  So I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if so, what did you do? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

• PR
    Favorite Answer

Consider whether the dog is:-Trying to protect your husband as his own, and you not part of the unit.

-Dog wants to play with you.

-Dog's vision or hearing beginning to fail and does not know whether you are an intruder, in a dark or dimly lit room.

I would first, check the dog's hearing and vision. At various times during the day, call the dog's name to see if he responds, or make a noise when he cannot see you or does not expect it, and see if he responds normally. Also check whether the dog is seeing O.K., or even take him to the vet to be evaluated. Dogs can develop cataracts, and these can sometimes be seen if you check the eyes. 

If the dog is not seeing or hearing well, you may need to either keep him downstairs with you until you go to bed, or find a way to alert the dog to your entering the room, in a way that he will recognize you. You could also offer him a treat when you enter the room, so he will anticipate your entry and also may smell the treat and recognize you in that manner.

If the dog wants to play, then you will need to determine proper action at that point.

If this is not a matter of failing vision or hearing, the dog may be protecting your husband and trying to keep you away. In that case one of the following may need to be implemented:-Dog not allowed on bed.

-Husband corrects behavior

-Dog only allowed on bed when you go to the room

-Dog kept in dog cage at night.

If the dog is kept with you until you go to the room, then he will anticipate this and be appreciative of being there and at your determination and not your husband's. Play with the dog a bit while in the other room, give the dog treats while with you, pay him some attention.

The dog could also be kept in a cage either the entire night or until you go to bed.

Alternately, your husband could try keeping a leash on the dog until you enter the room. If the dog begins to bark or jumps off the bed, he would then pull on the leash, correct the dog or make him sit. Without correction in this case, the dog will continue the behavior, possibly getting worse.

I would suspect failing hearing or vision if the dog is fine in other circumstances. If this is not the case and the dog is selecting your husband as key human, you should begin to feed the dog his meals. Take the dog for walks, give the dog more attention. In this way, the dog will rely on you, more, and be more accepting of you.

Has anything happened that would cause the dog to fear you? Some kind of accident? Something had to have happened to cause this response. What did you do? Not saying you did anything on purpose but something happened.

• ron h

That's not your dog-he's your husband's dog and the dog is protecting him.  Have you been arguing with your husband lately?