Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Be honest would you bully someone named Eli? ?

I have a few close friends I talked to about baby names for a boy. When I told them I wanted to name my kid Eli if it's a boy they both told me he would be bullied to **** if I named him that and said I should name him elijah instead or something entirely different. What do you guys think? 

Favorite Answer

It's your baby and your choice in what you name that baby, I have 3 kids and not once did I worry about what other people thought on my choices, not everyone liked the name of my third child but it was the decision of myself and my Husband, not other family members.

I wouldn't bully anyone but I don't see why anyone would think to bully someone because they were named Eli. Unique isn't bad it's just different. 

Oh and don't feel the need to change the name to please other people or because of opinions you got on yahoo answers from strangers.

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

I really wonder why the asker thought 'Eli' was the kind of name anyone would be bullied about.

not if he looked like Denzel Washington in an apocalypse..

Personally i wouldn't bully anyone regardless of their name, its not my taste in names but there are a lot of eli's around so he should be fine.

I don't think the name Eli would be a problem. There are plenty of guys named Eli.

I can't begin to imagine why a boy called 'Eli' would be bullied. It's a perfectly standard name, either in its own right, or as a shorter version of 'Elijah'.

Oh wait: maybe they think it's pronounced 'Ellie', like the girl's name? Put them right immediately: it's EE- lie, with 'lie' rhyming with 'I', 'sigh', 'cry'.

• GB

Elijah will probably get shortened to Eli.  There are lots of name that started as diminutives, that became  'proper' names in their own right,

William  - Bill  Billy  Liam

Terence  - Terry

Theresa -  Tessa  Tracey

Abigail - Gail ,  Abby

The sort of  kids who'd  bully your son because of his name, would still do it if you chose one from a short-list that your friends approved of.

• blank

I would never bully anyone and Eli is a legit and accepted name by many anyway.

My sons name is Eli and it’s not short for Elijah . My son doesn’t get picked on 

I don't see how Eli is that much different from Elijah. It's sort of like the difference between Dave and David. 

I wouldn't, because bullies are low life scum of the earth. There might be some degenerates that bully, but it could happen for any reason. Eli is a name that's growing in popularity. It's in the top 100 most popular boys names for baby boys in the US, as is Elijah. I think they're both quite cool, the older names are coming back 

My brother is named Eli and he was never bullied.