Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Dorms or apartment as a transfer student?

I am transfer student, which mean I will become a student at the college I go to as a Junior. I have to the option to live in the dorms or in an apartment. They cost relatively the same, so money isn't the issue here. If I were to dorm, I would be in a triple. In an apartment, I would be have to share a room with one other person. Now, I would like to be able to meet friends and new people, especially since I am more of a quiet, reserved type of person. What should I do? What's your opinion?

• ron h

As a transfer, you'd be sharing an apt with strangers--drunks, messy or noisy people. BF and GF's sleeping over.  Think about dorm your first year an apt with friends next year.

Apartment. more quiet time to study.

• dammm

Dorms are best to meet new friends or new people...but since you're quiet reserved person. I hope the school has a quiet dorm.

Definitely dorm. You simply meet more people, especially if it is a traditional style dorm with a long hallway and a large shared bathroom. Older-style dorms tend to be more social than newer apartment-style dorms. People hang out in the hallways, watch the communal TV together, etc. Plus older dorms are closer to the center of campus, so you can walk to class or the library or dining halls without having to drive or get on a bus. But, as a transfer student, you may not have a choice of your style of dorm. You may be assigned to an apartment-style dorm because you're older and they may figure that you'll want to do your own cooking or live in a quieter dorm.

• Laurie

Dorm, dorm, dorm!

You won’t have to worry about your roommates coming up with their share of the rent, or utilities.

You won’t end up losing your deposit because your roommates - or their friends - trash the place. 

If you are in a dorm, you can save a lot of time and money by getting a meal plan. No grocery shopping, no roommates stealing your food, no cooking, no dirty dishes piled in the kitchen that your roommates refuse to wash, no garbage that nobody took out.

Dorms are usually more convenient to campus should you need to see a teacher during office hours, go to the library, use the computer lab, or participate in a study group. 

You won’t have to deal with a landlord to make sure the furnace, air conditioner, garbage disposer, refrigerator, water heater, microwave, and stove stay in good repair. 

If you live in an area where there is winter, you won’t have to shovel snow and you may be able to walk to class or take the campus shuttle so you don’t have to dig your car out. 

If your roommates - or their friends - are being insufferable, you need only walk down the hall to a friend’s room... in an apartment, you have nowhere to go. 

Dorms have a Resident Advisor to help enforce decent behavior; apartments have only the local police.

Finally, if your roommates end up being abusive, Housing will kick them out or move you to another dorm; in an apartment, you are stuck.

All these things may not happen to you...but they DO happen. 

Good luck. 

Dorms usually end up quite a bit cheaper than renting off-campus, furnishing & fitting it out, paying on a yearly lease whether you go home over summer vacation or not, etc. Dorms on-campus tend to save you time & a lot of effort (cooking, cleaning, transportation or walking to campus). Being on-campus often gets you more involved in campus activities.

Student apartment life is really no different than student dorm life, except that living in an apartment setting is usually nicer (kitchen handy, share the bathroom with fewer people). You will still participate in student activities and events, and the buildings normally still have a common area for students to mingle.

i think it would be more important who those roommates would be than wether it was a room or apt