Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Was I worried for nothing?

Where I work the company owner, my boss brought in his new wife and introduced her to us employees. Our boss John is in his 50s and his new wife is in her early 20s, my age. A few days later he ask me if I thought his wife was cute. I said, “I had not give it much thought but yes she is cute”. It became known at the office that John was very jealous of his wife with other men.

One day John ask me if I would like to “fool around with his wife”. Wanting to not get involved with his personal life and wanting to keep my job I said “I would not fool around with any man’s wife”.

He said “then you are the person to train my wife to use the company’s computer system so she can help me with the business. I did not want to do that but I had no choice to do it if I wanted to keep my job.

I did train her but it took a long time. After the training she told me “I owe you big time. Please let me take you to lunch to say thank you for being patient with me during the training”. I told her I could only do that if her husband John came with us. She said he is very busy and probably could not find the time to join us for lunch. I told her a thank you lunch was not necessary. My thoughts were that a lunch with her without him would put my job on the line.

Do you think I made the right decision about this or was I worried for nothing?

• RP
    Favorite Answer

You probably did the right thing. Going to lunch with her, but without him, could have been easily misconstrued.

I think you definitely made the right decision.