Why does my toddler want to see bowel movements and other disgusting things ?

My three year old daughter likes to be in the bathroom with me and insists on seeing what I’ve left in the toilet. It’s not just mine but hers as well. 

I blew my nose the other day and she was throwing a fit because I wouldn’t let her see inside the tissue paper. What is up with this strange curiosity? 

• Jesere

Everything on earth is new to them, the strange wonders of ths world they are living in.

Well she is a toddler and its very normal, is she fully potty trained now? kids are curious and learning new things every day and if using the big toilet is something new she is going to be curious, why does it belong in there? how does it disappear? what is it? why does it happen?

All these things can be going on in your toddlers head, I wouldn't worry and it's really not strange its common :)

Toddlers are inquisitive.

Teach her slowly gently and firmly that those things are Yucky and we don't need to see them.

My kid did that at that age, they are curious and want to know what it is or how it is formed.  Gross I admit, but she grew out of it quickly. 

I'm not a mother, but I have experience with children, so I hope this will help.

Toddlers like gross things, they like farting and laughing at poop. It's pretty normal, my younger sister thinks it's gross when my brother burps now but before she was very open about making retched farts in a crowded room full of strangers. My little brother whipped it out at the beach and started pissing in the sand; other kids started too so it ended up fine. Kids are experiencing new things when they are younger, things that seem simple to us are very complex to you. They know that you, their mother, are very different from them and poop is one of the ways they know that. I'd just suggest teaching them that it's gross before they are in kindergarten. I remember being so embarrassed when I farted really loudly while the teacher was talking; I didn't know it was a bad thing until everyone started laughing.

• LizB

Toddlers don't really know that things are disgusting until they're taught that they're disgusting. It's normal for 3 year olds to have body curiosity, though some are more nosy than others.

This is 100% normal behaviour (as weird as that sounds)-

According to Freud, there are 8 psycho-sexual phases that all people go through from birth to death.

Your daughter is in the anal stage of developlemt! This occurs between the ages of 1 to 3, and its when toddlers get a sense of pleasure out bowel movents and other body excretion. It may sound weird to you, but its' because you aren't aware of the psychological motivations behind it. 

This phase shouldn't last too long, and if you are having trouble handling this phase, the next one will be tougher. The next phase is what is called "Phallic Phase" and its releated to sexuality and the genitals! This will be when she discovers her vagina and she will learn to explore it out of pleasure, also, its very common to have a crush on the opposite sex parent and to display jealousy of the same sex parent.

You can read this site further to better educate yourself 

https://www.simplypsychology.org/psychosexual.html...

• LizB

Freud has been largely discredited by the modern-day medical community. You might as well be talking about wandering wombs and the four humors.

A toddler at this age is probably curious , when she is an older toddler around 7 years old she is bound to have grown out of this particular phase. 

all children go through this phase. After a while they get over it. It took my niece a year.

you guys probably taught here that there's something dirty, exotic, or forbidden about it by making cutsey comments about body expulsions (as most parents do).