df
df asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How to deal with family that is constantly asking for financial help while insisting that I am the financially irresponsible one?

My dad asked to borrow money to pay his mortgage and now wants more help despite not paying me back last time. My dad expects me to keep paying his mortgage despite me not living with him.  While asking for money he goes off on tangents on how financially irresponsible I am and how I am such a burden despite not having received financial help at all since I moved out.  

No is a complete answer.

You don't owe them anything. "Sorry dad, can't help you".

End of the story.

Don't justify, don't argue. If he accuses you of being financially irresponsible then simply say "you are right, that's why I can't be giving out money to you anymore".

And consider to stay away from them.

i would help him out, he helped you out all your life

he is on drugs...stop giving him money

Dose he need help, is he not financially able to pay his bills?  if he needs help then you should help him,  and if he borrows money and is able to pay you back then he"should"  If you just keep dole out money to someone they will never take responsibility for themselves .   If I lend someone money,  if they don't pay me back then that is a one time thing and they don't get any more loans from me.   

• A

You need to stand firm and tell him you do not have money to lend to him. It is not a lie, you may have money but none to lend him. Let him go off but he should learn not to depend on you paying his bills and become more responsible himself

Are we half brothers?

Change your phone number, change your email address.  If that does not work move out of state.

I was sick of my family and moved from Boston area to Alaska.  Best decision of my life, ever.