Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 2 months ago

With all the modern technology why isn't there a device you can attach to valuables like vehicles, lawn mowers, to track when stolen?

I saw something on TV years ago where a bicycle was stolen in NYC and the owner was able to walk around the neighborhood with a geiger counter type device that buzzed louder when getting close to it. Sure enough, he found it locked to a bike rack outside of an apt complex. I don't think it even used GPS, but if people's cell phones or other things can be tracked using GPS, I don't know why valuables can't be as long as the item is large enough to place a chip on it.  

• elhigh

They're already out there. Why don't you have one?

There is, here's just one example. https://www.dobuydirect.com/collections/gps-tracke...

you can even get GPS trackers for your dog.

Like was said already, they need power. I looked into GPS trackers for my dog, but they last at most 2 or 3 days and then require charging.

The little bullshit Bluetooth trackers only go a few hundred feet or so. They brag about their "network" of users that will show where your item is, but that is all bullshit unless you live in the middle of a city where everyone is using them.

And the device would cost more than the object so you need a better job and I need a better job to be equal and Trump needs a few more billion and the house costs more and the tax want more let's stay as we are 

Anything like that requires power. So unless you can track it before the power goes (like you do with a black box) it's lost. A thief would doubtless know how to disable any device attached to a vehicle. Interestingly of course the Chinese have been tracking their citizens by their mobile phones, so be careful what you wish for.

• Mmm J

Well, there's Linxup GPS tracking, GPS tracking systems from the cell phone service providers (like Verizon's fleet management services), all the major vehicle manufacturers have something similar to OnStar which can track vehicle location, QBit, Tile, Cube, PrimeTracking from Amazon, AceTracker, LoJack, Ravelco,  and a bazillion others.

One would think that with the internet at your fingertips, you would already know this.