Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 2 months ago

I've been washing my hands a lot because I want to avoid getting Covid-19, but the back of my hands have become dry and crusty. Am I ok?

When I wash, I wash the whole of my hands thoroughly. But the back of my hands become very dry and a bit crusty. A small cut had even appeared at the back of my hand. I don't feel any real pain.

But I was wondering are my hands ok in this condition. I don't want to catch an infection or any other disease like cancer for example

Is it safe that my hands are dry and crusty and that there is a little cut that has opened up? I don't mind the back of my hands being dry, as long as I don't catch any other infection or disease.

Mine are like that too 

your hands have become dehydrated from all the soap and water and no moisturizer. use some hand moisturizer or olive oil or coconut oil and they'll be good as new

• Lili

So use moisturizers.

Isn't that the obvious solution? That's certainly what the rest of us are doing.

What on earth makes you think that very dry skin resulting from frequent hand-washing is going to turn into cancer?

You need a better education.

• TedEx

This is normal.. Whenever you wash, you wash away some of the skins' natural oils.  Use a moisturizing  lotion, Lubriderm, , Gold Bond, etc.The dryness  will go away quickly

• Eva

Use a moisturizer on your hands as well. You may be allergic to the soap you are using. Try using vaseline and putting gloves on at night and leave them on while you sleep.

• TedEx

I doctor told me top stick with Ivory. No dyes, chemicals, just plain old soap..

• Burgoo

use lotion more, that will take care of it

• Tulip

Unless you have been somewhere that you might have come in contact with the virus over washing your hands in your own home is idiotic

• Mark

Funny, I was just thinking about this.  Specifically, "I am glad I washed my hands often DECADES before this.  I bet people who generally never washed their hands before have really dry skin."

And yes, you will be fine.  At most, go to the drug store and buy some good quality lotion (like Eucerin or Keri). And NEVER invite me to your house for a meal, as you will probably will have touched the cat, taken a dump, or handled raw chicken and then a made a salad, without washing your hands in between, "Pig Pen".