Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is it normal for a mother to drink (wine for example) on a night after children are asleep? ?

I like to have a drink sometimes in a night when my child is asleep. I dont drink every night, but when i do its wine and i drink the full bottle which is 3 large glasses. I dont drink during the day, maybe 3/4 nights a week ill kick back with a bottle of wine.

Do other mothers do this? 

I only question it as, my boyfriend kind of judges me for this even though I'm 30 years old, take care of our child and make sure the household is in ship shape without fail everyday. I look forward to my time to i unwind and relax. 

A glass of wine is normal.

A bottle of wine is not.

3 or 4 times a week is alot of drinking, what u gonna do when ur drunk and have a night time emergancy.

Ma'am, with due respect, you have a drinking problem- and a serious one at that. You shouldn't be drinking alone, and you most definitely shouldn't be drinking that much alcohol when you have a young child in the house. What if you passed out and something happened, like a FIRE broke out, or the house got broken into? If you're dead drunk, you'll never be able to hear that something's wrong. What if your kid gets sick in the middle of the night, or has a medical emergency? Would you even be able to call for help? I doubt that, I really do. Do you REALLY WANT to risk having your little "habit" being disclosed to the police, or to Child Protective Services? That's grounds for your child to be removed from your custody, you know. In most states, that's also considered to be felony child endangerment.

There are LOTS of resources available to help you quit drinking and help you work through whatever issue or issues may be causing your addiction- and alcoholism IS ADDICTION. I urge you, for the safety of your child (if not for your own) to PLEASE GET SOME HELP. You'll be a better person when you're sober and alcohol free (and more to the point, you'll be able to learn how to relax without needing alcohol to help you do it) and a better PARENT.

I grew up drinking wine (I am of Southern European ancestry) , so I have no problem w/ wine. A glass of wine is acceptable. The whole bottle in one sitting is excessive and you are doing this several times a week. This is how people become addicted to alcohol. It does not matter how old you are or how clean the house is, you should also be concerned about your wine consumption.

• edward

Emergencies happen at any time of the day and all hours of the night. If i had a nickel for every kid who got sick or injured late at night i could retire a wealthy man. With the amount of kids i am used to seeing in the Emergency room (100+ per day) it’s astonishing that parents still think it’s okay to drink 3-4 times a week till they are “relaxed”. I’m not saying not to have a bottle of wine a couple nights a week. Of course you can, me and my wife drink wine with dinner every night but we have the good sense not to drink the whole bottle.

Talk to your doctor. He will likely tell you "a glass of red wine a day will keep the doctor away"

• Amaretta

But he won't tell you that drinking the entire bottle by yourself 3-4 times a week is okay.

No this is not acceptable

You are drinkining 3-4 bottles of wine per week! The average/healthy number at most a woman should drink is 7, you are almost double the normal totals here! I  would label you a "functioning alocholic", because you seem to check off all the cateogories:

1- Denial: "I don't drink during the day", "I take care of our child and the house" 

2- Needing alochol to feel relaxed on a continual basis:- You confirmed you need to drink to relax from your role as a mother and girlfriend

3- Causing others to worry about your drinking:- You admitted your boyfriend is worried about your drinking.

4- Getting angry when confronted: "My boyfriend judges me for drinking".

A functioning alocholic is someone who drinks regularly and excessively, but is also able to get up in the morning and go to work, who can do other roles to an ok-to-good standard.

It's one thing to have a drink here and there to drink socially and to relax, its quite another to do regularly and excessively! You have without a shadow of a doubt have crossed that line to being a booze-hound.

• Catherine

You've missed a crucial word here, like units. Hopefully.

Health authorities would consider that too much. That's 3-4 bottles of wine a week. Most people have a drink or two after work or after the kids go to bed but consuming a whole bottle several times a week is a bit of a problem. If I drank a bottle of wine, I'd feel hungover for a week and not want to consume again for ages. Although you seem to have a tolerance for it, it's still doing harm to your health. 

• y

There is no normal for this question even though many believe they know.

My thought was and alwasy has been, are you still totally functional if something happens in the night. Can you legally drive to the hospital for instance, or is someone in the home that would be able to. Other then that, what you do is your business.

• Eva

A bottle a night is excessive. What would happen if you suddenly needed to rush to the hospital with your child? You'd be too drunk to drive. Having 1 glass is one thing. Drinking a whole bottle is quite another.