promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What are these white bumps on my oak tree?

If they aren't supposed to be there, how can I get rid of them?

Update:
Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Edwena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That is scale.  It is an insect that will multiply and will kill your tree.  They move around, then fix themselves and coat themselves with a hard shell.  The shell prevents most sprays from killing them.  You have so few, that you should take a knife, scrape them off and squash them.  Dormant oil will kill them, but you probably are too late to use it (new leaves).   But, you might try brushing it on the scale and limbs. Skip the leaves.  Next winter you will need to spray the trees with dormant oil while they are dormant, say right before bud break.   Your tie around the trunk of the tree is too tight.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Scale or woolly aphids, hard to tell which from the photo.  They're hard to kill.  Since your tree looks very young and quite small you can remove them individually with a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol (if you can get any).  They come right off as it dissolves the coating they use to glue themselves in place.  Some species of wasps prey on them and so do some ladybug larvae.  You might need to use pesticides though.  I wouldn't really worry with a mature tree but a heavy infestation can stunt a young one.

• 2 months ago

They are moth lavi 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Those are woolly aphids.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.