Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Is this a stupid idea?

My daughter is one years old and we weren’t able to do anything for her birthday because of this virus except celebrate it with a few family members. I was thinking about writing a letter to her or maybe just write about this pandemic and how we were all panic buying and all the toilet paper and hand sanitizers were sold out and there was over 15,000 cases of the virus and so many deaths. Just kind of a summary of what we went through and how it was a rough time for us during the pandemic. Is this a stupid idea?

I’m not writing her a letter to explain to her why she didn’t have a good birthday. I wanted to write down about the virus so she can look back and see what we had to go through and how it was so bad that people died and we had shortages of toilet paper and hand sanitizer and that businesses were closed down and how stores now are limiting how many customers can be in the store at a time. Also, I wanted to tell her about how the governor banned large gatherings so we couldn’t have a birthday..

Party for her. Like one user said, I kind of want it to be a time capsule. 

• Edna

Don't write her a letter or do ANYTHING for your daughter's first birthday. She's still too young to know what a birthday even IS, or why she's not having a birthday party. She doesn't even know what a "birthday party" is!  Do YOU remember your 1st birthday?

If you are worried about her, then forget it. One year olds don't understand anything. Explain things fo ber in a few years.

It sound like you're worried about her mors than the family, from the tone of your 

Question.

• edward

One of my co workers just turned 50. BIG day for anyone right? She was going to have a party for all of her friends from work and we were going to have a big birthday party for her at work but we couldn’t because social distancing and limited space. She won’t just forget about it unlike a 1 year old who won’t remember turning 1.

• Shinnyuu R2 months agoReport

Well you sound very bitter 

• L

You can still give her a family Birthday Party........... just don't invite friends and neighbors.  As for the letter - she's only going to be 1 and will NEVER remember this....just move on.

• God

I would start a diary about your life with her, not just the Corona.

• Tulip

Yep..............

Good idea. Add a happy ending

Itnmay he fun for her later in life to have some kind of written memory about what was going on when she turned a year old.

In honesty tho.. First birthday parties are more for parent. The child doesnt realize its her birthday, or even what a birthday is. Having a ton of family members, cake, balloons, tons of presents, etc is actually overhwhelming for most children that age too. If I could do it over, my kids first birthdays would be smaller. Close family only.

Save "big" party plans for when they are a little older and able to remember it and enjoy it.

• Mack

It’s a bit silly to ask.

I think that's a good idea. But maybe put it somewhere safe so that she doesn't get it until she's an adult. Time capsules are always fascinating.