Unprofessional way to fire me due to COVID? ?

I get a call from my bosses wife I’m leaving out for work  I get a text saying call ASAP before coming to work so I stop an call. She says that’s she’s sorry but there contract was closed an she has to let me go they can’t afford to pay me. This isn’t the first shut down due to COVID this is the second an before I came I back I specifically asked my boss are you positive we’re not shutting down anymore we’re “essentials” so no. Lies but she pretty much told me good Luck an she apologizes but she had to make a choice which is bs . I’m in Georgia an now I’m going to be in a bind will I get unemployment? This situation was unprofessional I wanted to tell her but I don’t like talking to her by any means my boss who owns the business could’ve told me face to face before I left Tuesday after work. 

• car253
    Favorite Answer

I am very sorry for what you are going through.   Working at a place for so long and working so hard for someone you think you should be more appreciated.     You might want to ask if you can speak to the person that you wanted to speak with.    

He might have been ashamed to speak with you that he had to lay you off and pushed that off on his wife.    He might have felt really bad about laying you off and could not handle speaking with you.      If you call him make sure to ask professional and not angry.    He may hire you back when this is all over with. 

You can collect unemployment.    So, apply NOW !      And, maybe you will get a better job closer to home.   When something bad happens, something better is around the corner. 

I'm sorry that this happened to you- but seriously, do you not see that this is an unprecedented situation, and no one knows from day to day what is going to happen. Many people are seeing family members die, and others are in hospitals on ventilators gasping for breath. Be happy that you're healthy. There are places hiring. If you don't insult your employers, chances are they'll want you back once this crisis is over. They're not making any money either, and are probably in danger of losing the business they've built up. 

That's really tough.  Unfortunately, a company that loses a big contract they were needed to employ you may have little choice.  Since you were let go for lack of work, there should not be an issues with UI, it's not like you were fired for cause.

Companies are in a tough spot when it comes to being honest.  Tell people it's looking dodgy for an important contract and people quickly start looking for other jobs and who leaves?  Your best people that can easily find work.

Why is everything you write about "me me me".

Maybe he didn't tell you yesterday because he was hoping to figure out a way to stop the closure.

Maybe he didn't call you because he is so distraught that everything he built is gone- maybe forever.

I understand that you are in a bind.  But you have an outlet.  You are going to get unemployment.  Is it likely not enough?  Probably. Is it going to take longer than you think to get?  Likely but it's still there for you.

What does he have to rely on- low interest government loans that over 2/3rds of the money that has been guaranteed has been asked for.  Where is he going to fall on the list of getting disaster recovery money?  Maybe on the side that doesn't get any. 

• Eva

You qualify for unemployment. Everyone, business owners included, have been put in a tough spot due to business closures. There are programs out there to help them, but they take some time to put into place and not every business will qualify. They did what they thought they had to do. It wasn't personal.

There is nothing unprofessional about letting go an employee due to a massive instant recession and shutdown.    She wanted to catch you before you left for work which was courteous.  She apologized.  What more could she do?  She doesn't have enough work for you and she can't pay you. 

"could’ve told me face to face before I left Tuesday after work."   The decision probably wasn't made by then.   Many employers, especially small ones, really care about their employees and want to keep them as long as possible.  These decisions are not made lightly and they are not made in advance.

As far as why the wife called you, there may have been too many phone calls for one person to make especially if they were trying to catch people before they left for work.   In addition, she may very well be an officer of the business in which case there is nothing unprofessional or inappropriate about her taking part in the business she owns with her spouse.

Just because you work for an essential business doesn't mean you are an essential employee.   Many, many essential businesses are laying off people for several reasons including but not limited to:

1)  They are eliminating the non-essential service part of their business (for example, veterinary clinics may no longer be doing boarding, grooming, etc. to limit human exposure);

2)  They do not have enough customers/work

NO ONE owes you a job and NO ONE can promise what will or what won't happen during an uncharted crisis like this.   Your expectations are unreasonable.

Yes, you should qualify for unemployment.

• I've lost all my project work but my husband is running his company WFH and I hear a lot of conversations. You have summed this up very well. No one wants to be hurting anyone at this time, but the options are few and far between for most businesses.

Yes you will be eligible for unemployment. I once had a dude lay me off and as I was told the other guy in the meeting with him crossed my name off the list in front of me.

Where I live, any employer deemed "non-essential" who is caught having even one person come to work is getting a $10,000 fine. There's nothing unprofessional about an employer in this highly unusual circumstance finding out that they can't have employees come to work because their business has been deemed non-essential calling or texting their employees to tell them not to come to work and to even say that they can't afford to keep them employed in the current situation. For most small businesses, it's about survival. They can't afford to keep you on, and they certainly can't afford the fine they'll have to pay by allowing you to come in to work just so your feelings don't get hurt or just so you don't feel like it was "unprofessional" not to have told you in-person. Frankly, you've just got sour grapes, because I was laid off from a job once, and the employer had me go through all the time and trouble of getting ready for work and the expense of driving all the way in just to tell me when I got there that I had been laid off, which just added insult to injury, because that's what you're basically complaining didn't happen to you, that you wished they'd have risked being fined and had you come in during pandemic just to tell you to your face instead of by texting you to have you call. Pretty stupid on your part.

• kent2 months agoReport

My boss is a retired Navy Vet I’m processing for the Navy as well the last thing I wanted was to talk to his wife instead of him I’ve worked my *** off for his company I asked specifically were we closing I drove 70 miles a day for the job May seem stupid but you wouldn’t understand ty though 

• y

You file for unemployment, this is a common situation going around. It will become increasingly common due to the uncertainty of the situation.