My stepfather downloaded linux on our pc will it carry over to my account or will linux only be on his?

So I don't know much about computers so be forgiving. My stepfather downloaded linux on the family PC and I am worried it will cross over to my account. The main reason being games; I play a lot of older games that are windows only and I hope they will still work on linux can't try for myself because it locks down my account past 10 at night. 

Not enough information to be able to guess.

There are two different ways you can install Linux.  You can set up what is called a dual boot.  That means the system has both Linux and Windows on it.  When you boot up the system you get to select which you want to run.  If you select Windows, it will run just as if Linux is not on the mcahine.

But you can also install Linux as a replacement for Windows.  If he did that, you can only run Linux.  Windows is no longer on the PC.  Linux is not able to run games or programs made for Windows.  You would need to install a program (like WINe) that runs a stripped down version of Windows inside of Linux when can them run Windows games and programs.

• Adrian

A lot depends on what games. Most Windows games will not run natively on Linux. There are add-ons like Wine that can emulate Windows ion a Linux system. Some game vendors, like Steam, support Linux now as well, so those games can run ok.

Otherwise, you may need a virtual machine with Windows loaded.

That all said, it may be that the disk can boot either Windows or Linux, depending on how Linux was installed. So, look at the boot options. It may be set to boot Windows first, then an option for Linux. In that case, no worries, your Windows will run fine.

Boot up your computer....what do you see?

If it boots up into windows - you are all good.

If it boots up into Linux  - no windows games.

If it boots up in a screen that gives you the option for Linux or Windows- select windows and you are good to go.

• Lv 6

That's really the only way to do it.

• keerok

Hahaha!

I'm thinking he did that to prevent you from playing too much computer games.

There is a way to install Linux so that windows stays unaffected and continue to work. If your stepdad did it correctly then your games are safe. If he installed Linux over windows then all is gone.

There are ways to dual boot, if he left Windows on the computer. Can't tell you without knowing what he did.

• David

If you mean you have your own separate computer then it won't be affected by linux being installed on a different computer

If you mean you only have a single family computer and you have an account on that computer then if your stepfather completely replaced windows with linux your account will  be gone and need setting up again in linux. It is possible that your step father setup a dual boot system with both linux and windows together then your account shouldn't be affected when you boot into windows

What do you mean by "your account?" There's the account to log into the computer, which is definitely affected, because accounts are not only per operating system, but usually per installation. That's why you have to create a new account when you buy a new computer or reinstall Windows. Accounts for other things will either not be affected, or only affected in obvious ways. For example, not being able to play certain Steam games.