Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Why does the fire department in my city require 60 college credits if they don't care what they're actually in, just 60 credits?

Requires 60 credits to apply for a job

They want to make sure you can do mental challenges by studying 

Because it’s a very serious profession and they don’t want stupid people. If you’re clever enough to pass a few college level courses they figure you’re smart enough to work a hose without getting anyone killed. 

• John

It could well be due to personality factors.  Keeping a long story short, I once worked in an agency which was undergoing a reorganization.  I was an assistant supervisor, and the supervisor and I were trying to decide which workers we either wanted to keep in our unit, which ones we wanted to get from other units, and those we didn't want.  

I was surprised when the supervisor said she didn't want anyone in our unit who didn't have a college degree.  I told her I didn't think one needed a degree to be able to do our unit's work, and she agreed.  She pointed out, however, that the vast majority of college graduates in our agency were serious workers, while the vast majority of complainers, gossipers, and office drama enthusiasts did not have a degree.  It was something I hadn't noticed before, but she was right.   

My supervisor said she didn't know if going to college made the workers good, or whether having "good worker" personality traits was why they went to college in the first place.  Either way, her analysis was eye opening for me. 

• Daniel

In addition to wanting people that are more educated and have shown the ability to get through more difficult academics than high school, they probably are using it to cut down on the number of applicants that they have to weed through every hiring cycle.  

Prove you are not another doddering idiot like many high school diploma or GED holders. Prove you are diligent & can study, learn, pursue something with dedication. Prove you have done something worthwhile since graduating from high school.

• DON W

That's the equivalent of an associates degree at a community college, or two years at a four-year university.  During that time, most people would have taken a broad range of general studies classes, including English, public speaking, mathematics, and the like.

I'm guessing that they find that people with such a background do better on the job than those who do not have it, and are more ready to move into leadership jobs.

Perhaps they want you to have more maturity and some education before joining the fire department. Eighteen-year-olds aren't very mature, so joining the fire department (and having people's lives depend on you) when you are twenty or twenty-one makes more sense.

They want you to be a debt slave. 

“I owe, I owe, so off to work I go” 

• ron h

one can get 60 hours at a community college and they're not backbreaking expensive.

Maybe they just want to know that you have the wits to learn things.

• cool

Because the government is doing everything it can to force people into college.

It is part of their ideology...

The more college students, the more household debt, therefore the more profit for the business sector.