How can I get internet from one of my local ISPs?

I live in Southern Indiana, and for the past few years me and my family have relied on Dish satellite internet. Our Dish service was terrible, but we were able to deal with it until it completely stopped working a few days ago. Now we're relying on our hotspots. However, there is fiber-optic cable running along our road that goes directly in front of our house that is owned by PSC, a local ISP. We chatted with a neighbor, who lives a mile down the road, who is using PSC fiber optic. When we called PSC, they told us that we were not in their territory and we were right at the cut-off line. When we called Frontier, they told us that they don't offer service at our address. Is there any way I can force one of these companies to provide me with internet?

• Lv 7

it is their choice who they provide to.

satellite internet really is the worst. ask your neighbors on the other side who they have internet with. if they don't serve where you are, your only option is to move.

Looking at the Indiana broadband map found on the state government website, the problem you have makes a lot more sense.   https://www.indianabroadbandmap.com/

There are multiple areas of the state where the ONLY  "broadband" access is by satellite internet, which has trouble qualifying as broadband under the new FCC definitions.   Contact your state legislator and OCRA to se if they can help you.

Nope. If they don't provide service at your address, you can't force them. I'm sure that if you have the money to pay them to bring service to your home they will do it, but it will probably be in tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on what they need to do.

If it is not financially feasible for an ISP to expand, they won't do it.

• Jim

You you can't force a company to do anything.