Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Could I get out of a speeding ticket this way?

I live on a busy main road going through a residential neighborhood, and there is a side street a few houses down that cops often park on to catch speeders going down that main road.

Say that I get pulled over for speeding on my way home.

As I would be right in front of my house by the time the cop gets his car out, I naturally just pull over for him in my driveway.

Or more specifically, I pull over for him in my garage.

As the cop is walking up my driveway, on the way to my garage to give me a ticket, I use the remote on my keychain to close the garage.

Then I enter my house through the door connecting my garage to the kitchen, and the cop gets to meet the outside of my garage door.

Trying to evade a traffic ticket like that will end up with a warrant being issued and the police will break down your door, arrest you, and search your house.  Is evading a stupid speeding ticket worth all of that hassle?

• Archer

Fleeing the scene when it is apparent you know your being stopped is quite stupid.

What a load of rubbish the police are not as stupid as you seem to be.

NONE of your half baked schemes have the proverbial a snowball's chance in H*** of working.

• Bruce

An officer can make contact in your driveway while on official business. He can not enter your garage, though.

You can expect a ticket in the mail. If the officer feels you had time to pull over before you hit your driveway, you will see another ticket for failure to pull over.

• jeff2 months agoReport

Steven's stupidity never ceases to amaze. He has no background in law and argues what police officers can and cannot do WITH police officers.

If they initiated the stop before you were in your garage, you're screwed.  But, there was a famous case where an officer did not initiate a traffic stop until the garage door was already closing.  She stuck her foot under the door to prevent it from closing and ended up arresting the driver for DUI.  The court supressed every bit of evidence gained from the point the officer stuck her foot under the door.  But, keep in mind, the big difference in that case was that the officer did not try to pull the officer over.  If they turn on their lights and you start closing your garage door on them, they will follow you. 

Look up the concept of hot pursuit.

Just because you made it home doesn’t mean you won’t get a ticket. If it’s that simple then how come you don’t see perps driving home during a police chase. They always try to outrun the police. 

No...that will get you arrested.

Cops have cameras. Cars have license plates. Evasion attempts often make them dangerously crazy.