promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do I see a lone chimney standing in various fields?

I've noticed all across South Carolina and Georgia, you'll pass a field and there is a single chimney in the middle of it. Obviously the house that was there before is no longer there, but why do people leave the chimney standing?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

slave houses that were burned down by the KKK all of the slaves moved up north to New England to sign up for welfare and food stamps.  They are living large now.  Don't work and get free money. 

Who said moolies were stupid.........

• Boyd2 months agoReport

Interesting, is that true?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Simple, used bricks have no value where the bulk of stuff is made from bricks.One third of the houses (give or take) built in the sixties and seventies there are brick. Truck them to Seattle and you might have a business.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why not?  It shows where a slab of cement is(the concrete floor)  A house could always be built around the chimney again.  Or it was for the burning of dead chickens or other STUFF...that was stinky.  It hurts nothing and is a way to store bricks, maybe to use them later elsewhere.

Good question, but I never did really care at the time to ask...to retain it in the annals of my mind. Maybe somebody died there and that is the headstone for that person or family.?

• 2 months ago

over here in uk where i live there are some chimneys in fields ..but they are not from old houses ..they are actually tunnel vents ..the railway used them when they had coal burning trains

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

House burned down and abandoned, or was abandoned and rotted away. Nobody there to clean up the debris.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Brick an mortar lasts longer than wood.  They can be transformered into a pretty nice outdoor fireplace.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

House burned down leaving the chimney behind. You should go around tipping them over if they bother you so.

• 2 months ago

The chimney is made of stone or brickwork and requires a specific effort for demolition, so people often don't bother.  Often a timber house has burned down, been blown away or simply rotted away, leaving the chimney still standing.

• 2 months ago

removing it requires heavy equipment ... that costs money. the house can go up in smoke .. no cost

• ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

a lot of times, the wood is used for a new building, or it just rots away, or the house has burned down.   There's really no reason to knock them over, so people don't do it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.