promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

If I go to community college and get straight A's, can Harvard accept me? I made a big bet with my sister and It's for $200?

I met a bet with my sister who goes to Harvard to study nursing. I'm a college Freshman, she's in Senior.

I got mostly D's and F's in high school, but am doing very well in my calculus class and easy classes.

Please someone answer!

Update:

The bet is if I get into Harvard, I'll win $200. If not, she wins. 

Update 2:

She'll give me $100 if I get into another Ivy-League school, can be any (Cornell, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania, Dartmouth, and Brown)  

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

harvard examines you for diversity signs ahead of all else,dingbats too,they get preference

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • nappa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

More than good grades are needed ,  big money is the way to get in,,

• Lili
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Ivies accept very few transfers. Some accept none. They're not going to take transfers from CCs, though someone very bright and promising might be told to apply for all 4 years.

I attended Yale and Penn, and my husband worked for Princeton. I have plenty of friends and colleagues who graduated from the other Ivies, including Harvard, and who teach at them. I do know what I'm talking about.

Harvard does not offer nursing. Yale does, but only on the graduate level.

• 2 months ago

Can Harvard accept you? Yes. Will they? Not likely. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Harvard is sorely disinclined to accept community college graduates as transfer students. CC curriculum is not sufficiently rigorous to meet Harvard standards. Perhaps Harvard would consider someone who completed 2 years at, say, Stanford with straight-A grades for transfer.

• 2 months ago

Since when does Harvard even have a nursing school? I think your sister is pulling the wool over your eyes (or you're trying to pull the wool over ours). She's either not studying nursing, or she's not at Harvard (frankly, I'd put my $200 on you don't even have a sister).

Princeton doesn't take transfer students, period. As for the others, unlike public universities, private universities don't hold open spots for transfer students; the only spots available are if someone else drops out. So there's a lot of competition for a few spots. 

It's unlikely they'll bother with someone who has taken only "easy classes" in a community college (most Harvard applicants took calculus in high school). I'm personally aware of only one person who was able to transfer into an Ivy League school, and he transferred in from another Ivy. 

Your best bet is somewhere like Harvard Extension, or Columbia School of General Studies. These are part-time, adult-education branches of the universities. Everyone knows that they are BS (and I don't mean Bachelor of Science) degrees, but they have non-competitive admissions, and depending on the actual wording of your bet, it might be sufficient to pry the money from your sister. 

• 2 months ago

If you get into Harvard, I'll give you $2000.  That's how confident I am that your sister has this bet in the hole.

• 2 months ago

It's not going to happen. 1) Harvard will require your high school grades. Once they see them, you won't have a chance. 2) Harvard doesn't have a nursing school, so you can't go there anyway. But you might be able to get your nursing degree at your community college.

• 2 months ago

How are you going to manage straight As when you flunked high school? You aren't even going to be accepted into college, let alone Harvard. With a middle school education, you aren't even going to be able to get a job.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Harvard rarely takes transfer students and even more rare, if ever, from a community college.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.